Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tough Networking Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to re-configure my entire home network. My weapons of choice are as follows:

Comcast's Cisco Modem
Linksys E3000 Router
Linksys WRT160n Router
Linksys WRT54G Router
Sony Playstation 3
Dell (New) Studio XPS 15 Laptop (WIN 7)
IBM (10 years old) Desktop (WIN XP)
Acer (3 years old) Desktop (WIN 7)
HP (6 years old) Laptop (WIN XP)

Here are my questions:

Is it possible to hook all three routers up to the one modem (basement, first floor, second floor). Without losing their perks? (By perks, I mean the E3000 allows remote backups to an external HDD and guest accounts).
Are there benefits to doing this?
Will it increase my range?
Should I set the n-routers to specifically n rather than mixed signals, and the same for g?
The E3000 offers a faster 5GHz signal while the other 2 routers offer 2.4GHz signals, how will this come into effect?
Ideally, the XPS and PS3 will be on the middle level so wouldn't that be the best place for the E3000?
Does the PS3 have an n wireless built into it or is it g (old, fat model)?
I am running multiple OS's on multiple platforms as well as a wireless printer, will it be difficult to network them all together in the end with 3 different router connections?
What are your suggestions and what would you do if you were facing this predicament?

My last point is that my connection has (prior to this) solely relied on a one-router, one access point connection prior to this. I have never used the E3000 before this as it is brand new and I haven't hooked it up yet, I was using the WRT160n and it dropped out all the time. I figured by setting up a router on each level of the home it would increase the range, but i'm not sure if they will take away from one another or if it will actually be beneficial.

Sorry for all the questions and all the text, I would appreciate any help whatsoever. I'm gonna try to do this on my own so the more I know the better. Thanks for all of your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

here goes
Q. Is it possible to hook all three routers up to the one modem
A. yes

Q. Without losing their perks?
A. plug modem into E3000 with DHCP server enabled and all on network can utilize perks.

Q. Will it increase my range?
A. yes. probable best if hard wired back to E3000. can be done through wireless if wireless router can be set to client mode but if range is an issue(upstairs, downstairs) it may also be hard for second router to connect to E3000 wirelessly.

Q. Should I set the n-routers to specifically n rather than mixed signals, and the same for g?
A. No, that would limit your g device if it was closer to the n access point. leave it mixed and let the router decide.

Q. The E3000 offers a faster 5GHz signal while the other 2 routers offer 2.4GHz signals, how will this come into effect?
A. don't know. is at actually faster or is it just using a different part of the spectrum. i would suggest that most hardware is built to be backwards compatible so the E3000 should accept the 2.4 signal.

Q. the XPS and PS3 will be on the middle level so wouldn't that be the best place for the E3000?
A. personal choice, you will know when you start testing your setup.

Q. Does the PS3 have an n wireless built into it or is it g
A. don't know, check manual or try to download manual from sony

Q. I am running multiple OS's on multiple platforms as well as a wireless printer, will it be difficult to network them all together in the end with 3 different router connections?
A. expect to do some troubleshooting but you can make it all work.

Q. What are your suggestions and what would you do if you were facing this predicament?
A. hire an IT guy ? i would plug the modem into the E3000 on the main level and enable it as DHCP server. if default IP is say 192.168.1.1 (this is an example) set range of IP's 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100 (example). set up wireless.

router 2 hard wire to E3000, *disable DHCP * set IP 192.168.1.2

router 3 hard wire to E3000, *disable DHCP * set IP 192.168.1.3

all devices set to "obtain IP automatically" from the DHCP server(E3000)

the answer to "My last point" will be the troubleshooting part of the the setup. you will have increased range for sure, probable have every kid in the neighbourhood with a laptop or iPhone parked in your driveway :thumbsup:

#3 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

Caperdog, you are a saint! Thanks very much for answering so thoroughly, nobody at techguy even attempted it lol. I set up the E3000 straight to the modem. Only one of my devices picks up the 5.0GHz frequency that it broadcasts. Basically what it does it broadcast 2 frequencies and most of my systems (PS3, Acer, IBM, Printer, HP) only detect the 2.4GHz frequency. I know because the router sets up 2 SSIDs, which I made to have separate names. The only device that detects the 5.0GHz frequency is my Dell Studio XPS, and it def. increases the speed (33mb/ps vs. 22 mb/ps). Since I can't hardwire the other two routers into the E3000, I am going to try and connect them wireless (my mom would kill me if I ran cat-5s across the house!). Unfortunately, PS3 only has 802.11g :-( Any tips for me on how to get all three routers on the same page? If I can't hardwire them to the E3000 do I basically just plug one in on the top level of my house and one on the lower level? How do I get the working in unison without running wires? Any help on that end would be appreciated, but you've already answered 90% of my questions so I appreciate it regardless, lol. Thanks

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

there is a lot i don't know but i do like to read.
what i have found, and what i think you are looking for is a wireless bridge. but not a standard wireless bridge, a repeater. do some reading...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

both of your linksys routers are not able to do this, yet. flashing them with the dd-wrt software will give them that ability. the WRT54G is supported. version 1/1.1 and 3 of WRT160n is supported but not version 2. you need the right download for each router.

do not attempt to flash your routers until you are 100% sure about the process and you know how to return your routers to the factory default if there is trouble.

you, my friend, have a lot of reading to do. if you need more help, just ask. if you do not, keep me posted. i am interested in the outcome.

oh, thanks for the info on the GHz issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users