Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Actual problem or just paranoia?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 schtoltheim

schtoltheim

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Okay, some context. I love my computer and what I can do with it, but since I have a low level of computer knowledge I tend to have a level of trust in my computer that is about the same level of trust Stalin had for his officials, e.g. not bloody much. So, I do get a little paranoid sometimes with it (although, I would cite the Curse of the Jade Scorpion with regard to paranoia's occasional usefulness "You know what they call paranoid people like you?" "Yeah, perceptive!"). Anyways, something came up recently and I wanted to get some professional opinions about it, who might be able to tell me if I'm just being paranoid or if there might be something worth digging into.

To begin with, I'm running Windows XP SP3. Recently I've been reinstalling things on my computer after I reinstalled windows following a stupid mistake that corrupted a pile of the files when my computer accidentally shut down.

Anyways, I was uninstalling Norton 360 and reinstalling Norton Antivirus (long story short, I was mixed up which version I actually had bought before and had been using Norton 360 on trial up until I finally got around to getting my product key, when I realized that I had the other program). Upon a reboot, I noticed that my firewall (standard windows firewall) was down and their were new updates available from Windows Automatic Updates. I was a little suspicious, so after turning the firewall back on, I started a virus scan with Norton and decided to check each update after the scan to see if they were kosher.

What I had forgotten was that after my reinstall of Windows, I had left the updates to automatic install, rather than giving me notification of available updates. So, you can imagine my amusement when I came back to find my computer reboot with all updates installed. Swearing bloody vengeance, I then proceeded to double check the install log, which indicated that all installations were kosher when cross-reference with Microsoft. I then ran a full system scan with Norton, finding nothing. I then ran a full system scan with Panda Activescan 2.0, finding nothing. I then ran a full system scan with SUPERAntiSpyware, finding nothing.

So, have I done all the necessary steps to make sure that the firewall thing was just an error and not something more malicious, or might there be something to my e-paranoia and are there further steps I should take to ensure my computer is safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hi -
Auto install of updates is not a "bad thing" as such - It appears that you only got the normal monthly updates (good thing) as most are required -
When you tend to "play" with updates if you do not always know what they exactly are - You can always miss an important one -
I would let it ride and keep computing -
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 schtoltheim

schtoltheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind! Do you think I've otherwise covered my bases to make sure my computer isn't infected with something?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

your covered.
but remember your only as good as your last Curse of the Jade Scorpion quote :thumbsup:

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

your covered.but remember your only as good as your last Curse of the Jade Scorpion quote :flowers:

:thumbsup: :trumpet: Well added -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users