Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't turn on my Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dibbler

Dibbler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hi,
I wonder if anybody can help.

I am running windows Vista home premium, on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop and have Panda 2008 Antivirus Installed.

Unfortunately, I am unable to turn on the "protection against known threats" it says 'Error' opposite (no code)

Widows security centre tells me "Panda Anti-virus is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Centre in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version"

I have updated, to no avail. having run a scan (Panda), and a panda "total scan pro" online scan, no virus was found.

I am unable to contact Panda, as my antivirus was installed by a neighbour, on his subscription (nice of him!) but he is currently away on holiday, so I have no log-in details.

How can I get everything working? (I should add at this point I am definately no expert!)

Could I have a virus anyway?, as there are a few other annoying things going on, for instance my computer shut down earlier, for no apparent reason, and I had to use 'system restore' to get it going again) also I cant do a panda rescue disc (it just keeps repeatedly asking me if I want to abort).

any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Dibbler.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

I am unable to contact Panda, as my antivirus was installed by a neighbour, on his subscription (nice of him!) but he is currently away on holiday, so I have no log-in details.

If it was your neighbor's subscription, then you're probably using your neighbor's license. If that's the case then your copy of Panda is not legal and they will not provide support. An invalid copy may also account for some of the problems you are experiencing with the Panda website as vendors have ways to check the software being used to communicate with them. I suggest you purchase your own license from Panda, remove the existing software, then download and install your own licensed copy.

If you cannot afford to pay for an anti-virus solution, there are ample free alternatives:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Dibbler

Dibbler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

Cheers, I've uninstalled Panda and installed the free 3 month AVG suite.

Seems to be fine now.

Thanks for the advice/links :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018