Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gray Area Takes Up Bottom 1/3 Of Firefox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dan8402

dan8402

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

I went to my classes today and had used firefox before leaving and it was fine. 4 hours later, when I got back, I opened firefox again and there is now a gray area at the bottom of the browser that doesn't want to go away. On the left of the box and two ^ symbols on the edge in orange. The rest of the rectangular area is just gray. Anybody know what is wrong or how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Does the grey area fit into a rectangular box that is framed?
What does clicking on the double carets do?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:41 PM

Does the grey area fit into a rectangular box that is framed?
What does clicking on the double carets do?
Regards,
John

Clicking on the carets does nothing. When my mouse is over them, the pointer turns into the text cursor instead of an arrow cursor. The box at the bottom that contains these symbols is below the status bar. Everything else looks like it is where it should be. When the window is not in the fit to screen mode, and can be resized, the resize area in the bottom right corner is at the bottom of the status bar, not the gray box. Also possibly helpful is that the gray box remains the same vertical height no matter what size the browser window is while it shrinks with the window if taken in horizontally. The problem is really annoying because it lets me view about half of what I cann normally see in a fully open window. Thanks for the help.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

Have you tried a reinstall of Firefox?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 keithy397

keithy397

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

Try disabling your most recent extensions until you find the rogue one.
Cheers

Keith

#6 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:09 PM

I have tried reinstalling coupled with restarts of my computer with no luck. Now I have also uninstalled all of the extensions that I had (3) none recently installed with no luck, and themes (10 or so) none recently added with no luck. I also restarted after removing the themes and extensions. Any other ideas as to what might be happening, because i'm clueless at this point.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

When you uninstalled Firefox, did you just use Add/Remove, or did you also remove the profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox via Add/Remove.
It's a hidden file.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install.

Uninstall your current version from Add/Remove programs.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

Edited by tg1911, 11 October 2005 - 11:13 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

Is this happening on every site you visit? Or just a particular one?

#9 dan8402

dan8402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

It looks like getting rid of the profiles folder and reinstalling worked. Now I just have to get firefox to remember all of my bookmarks again. Thanks for the help.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Your welcome, dan8402.
Glad it worked for you.
Thanks for posting back, that the problem was resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users