Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mixing different brands of RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

If I mix different brands of RAM memory, will it destroy the computer or either of the memory sticks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

No...but the sticks still should be the same speed and have the same timings to avoid instability issues
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Shouldn't cause any issues. I've done it before. It's recommended to use matching sticks and I've heard that it's preferable to use sticks from the same batch. Try to match them up as best you can. If you install different speeds you can expect them to run at the slower speed, but in most cases they'll still perform.

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

no same speeds, ive got pc2 5300, but ive got different brands centon and pna. So can I mix those? Both are DDR2

#5 keller

keller

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

As mentioned above you should be fine, I've mixed brands as well with no problems.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

For optimom performance, all memory sticks should be the same brand, voltage, speed, and timings. However, mixing and matching, as long as theyre the correct type for the computer, should be fine, Though I would focus primarily on A: speed, and B: voltage. They should all be the same speed and as you said they are which is good-and voltage. In fact, I would say voltage is the number one thing, in the case of speed and timings, the computer will automatically default to the slower speed and timings, however, mixing voltages is the number one cause of instability in my experience. It doesnt always cause instability, especially with name brand memory, but often, especially with the lower end brands-if you throw in a stick designed to run at 2.2v with a stick made to run at 1.8v, that is where you can cause issues. Not necessarily, but can. I would just make sure both types of memory are on your motherboards support list first, or at least the voltage is roughly the same (should be on a sticker on the ram)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users