Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Lost' wallpaper image file -- where is setting stored?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

OK, something a bit different.

Background: Recently re-installed Vista on fresh hard disk following a drive failure.
Now: Re-configuring multiple user accounts from scratch to keep everything nice and clean.
My wife's user account wallpaper on old drive was set to an image file that we had downloaded.
Now I can't find it! (and it was important to her.)

I'm sure the image is stored on the complete hard disk backup we were able to take, but I can't remember the filename (nor, of course, where we wrote it!)
So I was hoping someone from BC would be able to point me towards a file (in the backup) which stores the wallpaper filename.
(Or a likely place for writing a wallpaper file, other than C:\windows\web\wallpapers )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Well ... You evidently already know where the default background images are stored. But a custom image that you downloaded sometime in the past could be stored almost anywhere. I would start with the Start menu, and select Documents. If you don't find it there move to the Pictures folder. If you still can't locate it, try the Search feature. It would be easier if you remembered the name or part of it but start your search with *.jpg or *.gif and you'll catch most of them. A little advance warning though, you may have quite a few images stored on the unit.

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thank you.
I expected that it would be a .jpg, but as I had tried to use the search tool to find one of the default wallpaper files (whose name and location I knew) without success, I didn't fancy my chances with an unknown file in an unknown location!

The reason for asking the question is that the backup is on a USB ext drive, in amongst about 170GB of other files -- including 3 years worth of photos! (although I do know exactly where they are) -- and a file extension search would take a very long time.

Fortunately I have now found it, by chance, while copying some other user files.

Being a firm believer in thingy's Law, if I hadn't posted this request for help I wouldn't have found it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users