Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG installer conflict - Total Protection Service

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CruelSun

CruelSun

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Greetings,

I am trying to help a friend with some computer problems... I have worked on this PC before. It is a 1-2 year old Dell, owned by an elderly woman. Last year I uninstalled the factory-installed McAfee and installed AVG free 8.5? and did a general malware cleanout.

A few weeks ago, I got a call that AVG wouldn't update. I updated all spyware tools and did another cleanout, but AVG still wouldn't update, so I tried to install AVG 9. The install failed Due to a conflict with 'Total Protection Service'.

Since then, I have:
  • Googled
    • Found other people trying to get rid of McAfee's TPS and ran the recommended utility: mvsuninst.exe
  • Read and searched the AVG Free forums
    • Found people with similar problems and ran the McAfee uninstall/cleanup tool: MCPR.exe
    • Posted a request for help, which yielded no results.
  • Uninstalled AVG using the Recommended utility: avgremover_en.exe
  • Re-ran both McAfee removal utilities (as Administrator)
  • ran HjT and removed all references to McAfee
  • Removed all references to McAfee from the registry
    • Including 3 that regedit would not delete or edit, which I had to remove using a remote regedit tool.
  • Chatted and spoke with McAfee tech support
    • Was told that they cannot help me unless I can prove I am their customer, or I can pay for support...

Still no joy, and no virus protection...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CruelSun

CruelSun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

Bump...

Anyone??

#3 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi, I have a similiar problem too. my antivirus software also fail to update and the message shows it fails to connect to the internet while I can still surf in the internet.
So I shall wait for the answer as you do.
Don't you mind?

Hi, I have a similiar problem too. my antivirus software also fail to update and the message shows it fails to connect to the internet while I can still surf in the internet.
So I shall wait for the answer as you do.
Don't you mind?

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

Hi,
I'll say, AVG, don't even go there. But in reference to the issue with support you're having, I'd say have your friend talk to them herself and see what the matter is. If she wants free AV, then give her Avast or Avira. They have much better detection rates than does AVG. I could tell you about all of my AVG epic fails, but if I did, you'd be sitting here all day LOL.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users