I am trying to help a friend with some computer problems... I have worked on this PC before. It is a 1-2 year old Dell, owned by an elderly woman. Last year I uninstalled the factory-installed McAfee and installed AVG free 8.5? and did a general malware cleanout.
A few weeks ago, I got a call that AVG wouldn't update. I updated all spyware tools and did another cleanout, but AVG still wouldn't update, so I tried to install AVG 9. The install failed Due to a conflict with 'Total Protection Service'.
Since then, I have:
- Found other people trying to get rid of McAfee's TPS and ran the recommended utility: mvsuninst.exe
- Read and searched the AVG Free forums
- Found people with similar problems and ran the McAfee uninstall/cleanup tool: MCPR.exe
- Posted a request for help, which yielded no results.
- Uninstalled AVG using the Recommended utility: avgremover_en.exe
- Re-ran both McAfee removal utilities (as Administrator)
- ran HjT and removed all references to McAfee
- Removed all references to McAfee from the registry
- Including 3 that regedit would not delete or edit, which I had to remove using a remote regedit tool.
- Chatted and spoke with McAfee tech support
- Was told that they cannot help me unless I can prove I am their customer, or I can pay for support...
Still no joy, and no virus protection...
Any help would be greatly appreciated