Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Bootable Floppy Disc do I need?.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

I have just reformatted my PC after a serious system malfunction where Windows would not boot but just hung on a black screen with a frozen cursor icon in the top left corner. I had no access to safe mode or anything except BIOS. Even though my BIOS boot settings were correct my PC would not even boot from my Win XP Home SP2 Installation CD just came back to the black screen mentioned before. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but I changed a setting in CMOS and got my optical device to recognise the Win XP CD and in this way I was able to reformat my PC albeit with the loss of all my data.

Since then I have been researching ways to avoid this disaster from recurring. I came across some good articles on Google and so far I have made two different types of recovery CD's from the tutorials provided. I next went to make a bootable floppy in the event that my optical device fails. I just used the process in Windows by right clicking on the A drive and following the Format instructions provided. Later I came across another article on Google which stated that this would not work as it formatted the disc in MS-DOS which could not read NTFS files and therefore would prove to be useless to me. I came across an MSN article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595 which seemed very complicated to me and a tutorial from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-floppy-boot-disk-in-windows/ with a download supplied. My question is which of these is the best to use in my situation, the Bleeping Computer or MSN one?. Are they the same or different and will they boot a PC using the NTFS file system. Thanks for any advice offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

I've got a floppy boot disk for XP around here somewhere that I might have even got from bootdisk.com. Don't remember. But the BC method seems quite a bit simpler than MS. Try it. All you're out is a few minutes time and a floppy disk. Don't seem to use them much anymore but it just might save your backside someday. Try both methods. Might be a learning experience. Be sure to test them sometime before you really need them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users