Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect Wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 and now I can't connect to the Internet wirelessly. I have a Netgear DG834DT Wireless Modem Router but I can only connect to the Internet through it if I use an Ethernet cable. I'm using an Edimax EW-7128g 802.11g PCI Card which worked fine with my previous Windows 7 installation, but doesn't now. I tried downloading the latest Vista driver from here: http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/support_detail....mp;pl2_id=44#01 but that didn't help.

If I click to troubleshoot connections, I get the following:

"There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter

The "Local Area Connection" adapter is not working properly"

Please can someone give some suggestions to help me get my wireless network working again?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Do this:

right click on My Computer, goto properties
click on the hardware tab, then click on device manager

check that to see if your system says its working properly.

If not, there would be an exclamation mark next to it.

If it is working properly, try going to

Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections:

click on network connections and look for the wireless internet connection, check to see if it says Enabled or Disabled on it.
You can right click on it and choose Enable if it is disabled.

Hope this helps
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

According to Device Manager the wireless adapter is working fine. I think the instructions you've given are for Windows XP rather than Windows 7, but Windows 7 reports that no wireless networks are available if I click on "Connect to a network".

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

I just updated to the latest driver through Device Manager and it's still saying that the device is working properly, however I still can't access the Internet. Something has changed however, as I am now able to see the network under "Wireless Network Connection". It says the signal strength is excellent, but when I try to connect to it, it always fails. I have the Edimax Wireless LAN Utility installed and when I hover over the icon it says "Disconnected", however if I open it I can see the network under "Site Survey" with 100% signal strength.

#5 jpark3r91

jpark3r91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Try going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser to log into your netgear, go into your wireless settings and try to disable, re-enable your wireless and maybe change the wireless channel to either 6 or 11, sometimes this works for me

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both, but unfortunately neither worked.

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

Yes sorry that was Windows XP navigation direction, i have not used windows 7>idk howto navigate it..i was hoping you would get where u needed to anyways :thumbsup:

Go back to the device manager, unintsall/reinstall drivers for the wireless card - make sure you have the CD, otherwise must download them from internet....

Also, check your saved networks for wireless connections, delete the one that is your wireless network if it is there.

Do you know the name of the wireless netowrk that should be broadcasted? Try typing in the wireless network name manually and see if that works. If you have the router set to "Hide My Connection" you wont be able to see the network or connect to it without typing the name in. Make sure the wireless card is ON and check your routers settings.

Do you have another device that has wireless abilities, like a smart phone, see if the wireless connection show sup there. I allways check that through my iPhone when the wireless is down in my home, that way i know instantly if its the computer or the router.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 17 June 2010 - 06:14 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've also been having trouble updating the firmware for my router and I've been using the Netgear support forum to get advice. I was advised to do a hard reset and run through the setup wizard again. After doing that I was able to update the firmware and I found that I was now able to connect to the network wirelessly.

Thank you for the advice anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users