Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble setting up WPS for ZyXEL NBG-419N Wireless N Router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PixelPlay

PixelPlay

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:12 AM

I generally use the BC forums for detection and removal of viruses etc. from my computer and came across this forum so hopefully I can get a little help.

I bought this router several months back for a very good price and have yet set up WPS because of the troubles I've had trying to do it.

I've tried the manufacture's customer service through email and they gave me a useless tutorial. And when I contact them on which steps I'm conflicted with they provide little help and give me a run around.

So I reset my router open up my internet browser and it presents me with the steps to setting up a WPS. I get to a step that tries to detect my internet connection and it hangs. I'm not sure where to go from there.

I would attach the tutorial the customer service provider provided to help explain but I see that isn't available in this forum. :/

Any help is greatly appreciate. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PixelPlay

PixelPlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Possibly move this thread to the "Networking" forum?

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

what operating system?
what steps have you tried?
what is a wps?

Definitions of wps on the Web:

Microsoft Works is an office suite ("home productivity software suite") produced by Microsoft. Smaller, less expensive, and with fewer features than the Microsoft Office suite, its core functionality includes a word processor, a spreadsheet and a database. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.wps

The Portal Server allows companies to build their own custom portal, which is a web site that puts the needs of employees, business partners and customers in one central location. Portal users can receive personalized Web pages providing access to information, people, and applications.
www.cylogy.com/library/glossary.html

Wireless Provisioning Service; provides a standards-based and integrated platform to simply provision and manage their Wi-Fi hot spots. WPS allows users of Windows XP to connect to Wi-Fi hot spots with a seamless sign-up process and enables a more secure wireless network access.
www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/access_registrar/4.1/user/guide/glossary.html

WebSphere Process Server: one of IBM's WebSphere Business Integration products
www-10.lotus.com/ldd/lewiki.nsf/dx/The_definitive_Lotus_Expeditor_integrator_glossary

Weld Procedure Specification. A written document providing in detail the required variables for specific application to assure repeatability by properly qualified welders and welding operators.
www.weldprocedures.com/weldingterms.html

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 June 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#4 PixelPlay

PixelPlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hi thrillhouse thank you for your reply.

My operating system is Windows XP.

WPS would stand for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Steps I've tried.. let's see.

For my router I followed the steps where you plug the WAN cable from the router to my computer modem. Then from my DSL modem I take the Ethernet cable from that and plug it into my router's LAN port.

From the instructions for my router it says to open my Internet browser (Mozilla Firefox) and it will guide me to the router's Wi-Fi Protection Setup (WPS).

Where I get stuck is when the router searches for my Internet connection and since it doesn't detect it I am unable to go through the router's Wi-Fi Protection Setup.

Thank you for your help!

Edit:
What I'm trying to establish is to secure my Wi-Fi connection with WEP or WPA/WPA2 encryption to prevent other people from using my wireless Internet. I use Wi-Fi to allow my Wii to gain access to the Internet.

Also here is my router on the manufacture's website: http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_de...mp;display=7061

Edited by PixelPlay, 21 June 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

None of that sounds right to me.

What do you mean by computer modem? It should go
1 dsl line into dsl modem
2 ethernet from dsl modem to wan port of router (not lan)

Give that a whirl and to get into router setup go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and use password 1234

Edited by thrillhouse, 21 June 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#6 PixelPlay

PixelPlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Perhaps I was wrong. :thumbsup:

I use "computer modem" and "DSL modem" to differentiate the word "modem". Since if I just say "modem" you wouldn't know which modem (DSL or computer) I was talking about.
Computer modem is sort of redundant but as I said it is the only way I know how to differentiate the two modems I'm explaining in this situation.

Ethernet from DSL modem to my router's WAN port. Then the router connects from its LAN port to my computer modem.

I have access to the Internet through both my DSL modem and router so that isn't quite the problem.

In order to access the IP address assigned to my router I need to reset it. I'll get back with you on that.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

I think by saying computer modem you are referring to your computer's network interface card. Both NIC's and modems have registered jacks for ports (rj45 for ethernet for the nic and rj11 for phone line for a modem) but they are really different things and I was confused. I thought you meant a 56k modem or 3g aircard or something like that.

Keep me posted and I will continue to try and help. I know wireless can be a pain.

#8 PixelPlay

PixelPlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Oh I see that's interesting. Sorry for the confusion.

Alright so for the life of me I have no clue how to reset my router or at least get the wizard to show up (redirect browser to http://192.168.1.1/) to set up a WEP or WPA/WPA2 encryption.

I've also tried simply typing http://192.168.1.1/ into several Internet browsers (including Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome) and they all come timed out disabling me to access http://192.168.1.1/.

I've tried with both my Internet access on and off (turning on/off the DSL modem) and still trying to access http://192.168.1.1/ times-out.

I've tried pressing in the "Reset" button in the back of the router and then opening my Internet browser. As well as plugging the LAN cable into another LAN port on the back of the router. In combination with the steps I've tried above.

Thank you so much for your help and patients.

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Ok...

First off not all router I.P address are 192.168.1.1

Secondly, resetting the router only clears it of the login name and password and wifi setting, with any other things you have changed after logging into the router.

Edit - Also, just to make sure, it was kind of covered but...

The phone line from the wall plugs into the DSL modem, from that, an ethernet(rj45) goes to the ethernet port in the back of the router(there are five ethernet ports on the back. [] [][][][] <--looks like that, make sure you plug it into the one by itself, the 4 that are together are outputs. the singe lone oen is where the ethernet from the DSL modem goes, then you run a an ethernet cord from one of the 4 to your computer to the ethernet port on it.

Furthermore, a "computer modem" or rj11 is for a phone line in computer terms. When talking about ethernet, your using a NIC(network interface card) that has a rj45(ethernet port).

I know that was talked about i just want to dummy proof it.

Heres a .PDF of your routers info

Your router info

Edited by s1lents0ul, 22 June 2010 - 09:23 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

There is usually a hard reset button that you press in with a paper clip or pen point to reset everything. I am pretty sure that the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 because I looked the router up on www.portforwarding.com and they said that was it and the password is 1234. Here is the screenshot
Posted Image

good luck

#11 PixelPlay

PixelPlay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

Hi s1lents0ul, thank you for your reply. :thumbsup:

Alright so I Google searched "comodo firewall interferes router" and found this article: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/suppor..._admin_page.htm

In this article it deals with the issue of not being able to access the "router's web browser based admin pages" due to the firewall "ZoneAlarm".

Perhaps this may be the issue from my personal firewall COMODO. Also near the end of the article explained how to solve the issue but I'm not sure how to do that with COMODO.

Sorry I didn't mention my firewall earlier. :/

#12 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

Have you disabled your firewall yet? Also the Built in windows firewall.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users