Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cheekysheep

cheekysheep

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Hi, i have come here to try to get some help, i am using wifi (through a router that i feel had already been compromised??) on my computer and seem to have a wifi network that only appears on my computer, i have tried using other computers to scan for this network but it only ever shows on mine, i have also noticed lots of unusual entries in my registry that always point here or to 1 of the other security help forums similar to this 1 if i do a search on said entries .

I have tried scanning for trojans and virus's with various online and offline scanners, none of which show up anything at all, i know i am not crazy and i have been compromised but do not know how to go about stopping this, i even tried a low level format of my hard drive but this network was there again as soon as i reinstalled windows 7.

PLEASE HELP!!

EDIT: the title should of read, Help needed Please but i hit enter by mistake !!

Thanks
Cheekysheep.

Edited by boopme, 14 June 2010 - 02:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

This info tends to make me feel it's your router.

Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds). If you donít know the router's default password, you can look it up HERE.

However, if there are other Zlob-infected machines using the same router, they will need to be cleared with the above steps before resetting the router. Otherwise, the malware will simply go back and change the router's DNS settings. You also need to reconfigure any security settings you had in place prior to the reset. Check out this site HERE for video tutorials on how to properly configure your router's encryption and security settings. You may also need to consult with your Internet service provider to find out which DNS servers your network should be using.

Once you have ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on the infected system, and reset the router to its default configuration you can reconnect to the internet, and router.

MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cheekysheep

cheekysheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Thank you for your help :thumbsup: :flowers: .

There are 2 computers that are used on the router, only 1 showed any infection, below are the mbam logs from both.
The infected computer has had its logon name changed (but still logs on).

At this stage i just want to be rid of any infection on both computers so i can do fresh installs on both without any worry of being infected again.

INFECTED computer.
------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4125

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

15/06/2010 21:41:49
mbam-log-2010-06-15 (21-41-49).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 130369
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

INFECTION FREE ( :inlove: ) computer.
-----------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4198

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

15/06/2010 01:56:26
mbam-log-2010-06-15 (01-56-26).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 116141
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Thanks again :trumpet: .

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

I would think you are pretty good here.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cheekysheep

cheekysheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hi Boopme, thanks again.

I am worried about this wifi network that shows up only on my computer, i have reset the router completely, reinstalled the firmware, checked that no alternate dns is being used, and i still have this network showing on my computer (the 1 with no problems in the above log), i have even changed the router to work only on both "b" & "g" and sure enough each time this network changes also and it always shows the same signal strength relevant to my wifi network.

I do not know if this is anything to do with anything but this website came up in the router log (with only firefox start page being loaded, google).

I am worried because this is not my internet connection, it is a member of my family letting me jump onto their wifi network from 100yds away, i had noticed this a long time ago but wasnt worried because it was my connection, but not anymore, i have even considered phoning the police over it.

Thanks.

Edited by cheekysheep, 16 June 2010 - 10:56 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

This appears to be the problem ... The connection is not secure and someone is hijacking a ride.. you are at risk like this.
You need to secure tyhe connection so that only you and yor family can access that router. Ask in Networking.. Tell them the type of router. They can set you up.

#7 cheekysheep

cheekysheep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thank you for your reply, the connection is as secure as it can be though, ill go to the networking section and ask in there :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users