Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a New Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Popey

Popey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hi everyone
I need some advice. I try to build my first computer it will be an AMD computer. I wrote down a list of what I’m going to install in my case. So please if you have any good advice I will appreciate it very much, to hear from everyone.
Here is the list.
CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Six Core Design 3.2Ghz 9MB Cache Socket AM3
Item Code cpAMphenom2_1090t
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Six Core Design 3.2Ghz 9MB Cache Socket AM3

Price $ 379

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOTHERBOARD:
MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard AM3 DDR3 USB3 SATA3 RAID 8Channel Audio GbLAN IEEE1394
Item Code mbMS890fxa_gd70
MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard
SPECIFICATIONS
CPU
• 64bit AMD® Phenom II X6/X4/X3/X2, Athlon II X4/X3/X2 and Sempron CPU.
Please refer to CPU Support for compatible CPU; the above description is for reference only.
Hyper Transport Bus
• HyperTransport 3.0 supporting speed up to 5200MT/s
Chipset
• AMD® 890FX and SB850 Chipset
Main Memory
• Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133* (OC) DRAM, 16GB Max
Slots
• 5 PCI Express 2.0 slots
- PCI_E1 supports up to PCIE x16 speed (when PCI_E3 is empty)
- PCI_E5 supports up to PCIE x16 speed (when PCI_E6 is empty)
- If you want to install two graphics cards, please use PCI_E1 & PCI_E5 slots
- PCI_E3 & PCI_E6 support up to PCIE x8 speed
- If you want to install four expansion cards into PCI_E1, E3, E5 & E6 slots, these four PCIE x 16 lanes will auto arrange from x16/ x0/ x16/ x0 to x8/ x8/ x8/ x8
- PCI_E4 supports up to PCIE x4 speed
• 1 PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot
• 1 PCI slot, support 3.3V/ 5V PCI bus Interface.
On-Board IDE
• One IDE port by JMicron® JMB363
- Supports Ultra DMA 66/100/133 mode
- Supports PIO, Bus Master operation mode
- Can connect up to two IDE devices
On-Board SATA
• 6 SATA III (1~6) ports by AMD® SB850
- Supports storage and data transfers at up to 6Gb/s
• 1 SATA II (SATA7) port by JMicron® JMB363
• 1 eSATA II / USB Combo port by JMicron® JMB363
RAID Function
- SATA III 1~6 support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 mode by AMD® SB850
MSI Reminds You...
• The RAID setup floppy disk is optional depending on the districts. You can download the files from the website to make the setup disk.
Audio
• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC889
- True Blu-ray Audio Support
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
LAN
• Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111DL
- Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in single chip
- Supports 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s
- Compliance with PCI-Express Bus specification v1.0a
IEEE1394 / FireWire
• VIA® VT6315N chipset
- Supports up to two 1394 ports. (pinheader x2)
- Transfer rate is up to 400Mbps.

Price $ 249

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2gig x 2 (4 Gig) DDR3 1600C8 1600mhz Model: CMD4GX3M2A1600C8
Item Code memCOtw_domd3_4g_1600c8
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2gig x 2 (4 Gig) DDR3 1600C8 1600mhz Model: CMD4GX3M2A1600C8
Corsair CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 RAM, 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC, Unbuffered, 8-8-8-24, XMS3 DOMINATOR with Dual-path Heat Exchange (DHX+ ) Technology, Core i7, i5 and Core 2

Price $ 219

Monitor:
19inch ASUS VH198T Black LED Backlighting HD 1440x900 DVI 5ms 10000000 :1 ASCR Speakers
Item Code monASvh198t
ASUS VH198T

Price $ 158

DVD-RW:
Two:
--ASUS 24x24 DRW-24B1LT BLACK and WHITE Faceplate SATA LIGHTSCRIBE NERO Software
Item Code cdAS24x24dvd_sata_ls
ASUS 24x24 DRW-24B1LT

The ASUS DRW-24B1LT / 24B1ST is capable of reading and writing data on DVD±R/±RW, DVDRAM formats. It is a power saving drive and allows you to permanently delete the data on recordable disc. This provides you with flexibility and efficiency in terms of multimedia data storage and sharing
Price $ 39
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SATA CABLE:
Two:
SATA 60cm LENGTH Data Cable connect SATA Device to motherboard
Item Code cabSATA_60cm
SATA 60cm LENGTHData Cable connect SATA Device to motherboard

Price $ 5

FLOPPY DRIVE:
Floppy 1.44 BLACK Various Brands
Item Code floppy_black
Floppy 1.44 BLACK Panasonic / Mitsubishi / Sony / Samsung

Price $ 19

VIDEO CARD:
XFX HD5850 XXX EDITION 1GB GDDR5 GPU Clock: 755 Mhz Triple Display Model: HD-585A-ZNDC
Item Code viXFx_5850_xxx
XFX HD5850 XXX EDITION 1GB GDDR5 GPU Clock: 755 Mhz Triple Display Model: HD-585A-ZNDC

Price $ 399

POWER SUPPLY:
ANTEC TruePower QUATTRO 1000watt PSU EPS SLI-Ready Model: TPQ-1000
Item Code psANquattro_1000
ANTEC TruePower QUATTRO 1000watt PSU EPS SLI-Ready Model: TPQ-1000

Full throttle power
You could search the four corners of the earth for a stable and reliable power supply, but you won't find better than Antec�s TruePower Quattro? More compact than most competing power supplies of the same wattage, yet ideally suited for handling the most demanding system specs, the TruePower Quattro?is designed to meet the 80PLUS certification which means that it consumes about 33% less energy than equivalent power supplies. Four 12V rails increase your system stability. The TruePower Quattro?comes with four PCI-E connectors for powering one (or even two) of the newest generation of video cards. All modular cables are sleeved and labeled to give your system a clean and professional look while the racing stripe paint job adds extra style.

Features:
* NVIDIA SLI Certified
* Universal Input, automatically adjusts for 100V to 240V power grids
* Designed to meet the 80PLUSďż˝ Certification
* Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) helps reduce electrical waste
* Supports EPS12V v2.91 and ATX12V systems
* Four 12V output circuits provide supreme system stability
* Accurate power rating allows TruePower Quattro to deliver its full rated power (24 hours a day rated at 50�C)
* Up to 85% efficient
* 80mm low noise cooling fan
* Heavy duty protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits (SCP), over voltages (OVP), under voltages (UVP), and over current (OCP)
* 2 x 8-pin PCI-E connectors and 2 x 6-pin connectors for PCI-Express graphics cards
* MTBF: 100,000 hours
* Safety approvals: UL, CUL, FCC, T�V, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
* Gold plated connectors for superior conductivity

Price $ 239

CPU COOLING:
COOLER MASTER Hyper N620 Universal Design LGA1366 LGA775 AM2 AM2+ AM3 Model: RR-B20-N620-GP
Item Code coCOhyper_n620_universal
COOLER MASTER Hyper N620 Universal Design LGA1366 LGA775 AM2 AM2+ AM3 Model: RR-B20-N620-GP

Specifications
CPU Socket Intel Socket: LGA1366 / LGA1156 / LGA775 *
AMD Socket: AM3 / AM2+ / AM2
CPU Support Intel: Core™ i7 Extreme / Core™ i7 / Core™ i5 / Core™ i3 / Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron
AMD: Phenom™ II X4 / Phenom™ II X3 / Phenom™ II X2 / Phenom™ X4 / Phenom™ X3 / Athlon™ II X4 / Athlon™ II X3 / Athlon™ II X2 / Athlon™ X2 / Athlon™ / Sempron™
Dimensions 140.8 x 96.4 x 160.7 mm ( L x W x H )
Weight 847g
Heat Sink Dimensions 140.8 x 50.8 x 158 mm
Heat Sink Material Cu base, AI fin, 6 heatpipes
Heat Pipes Dimensions Ř6 mm
Fan Dimension (W / H / D) 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Fan Speed 800~2000 R.P.M
Fan Airflow 83.6 CFM (Max)
Air pressure (mmH2O) 4.43 mmH2O (Total)
Bearing Type Rifle Bearing
Fan Life Expectancy 40,000 hours
Fan Noise Level (dB-A) 16~28 dBA
Connector 4-Pin
Fan Control PWM

Price $ 89

COOLER MASTER IceFusion Thermal Compound Model: RG-ICF-CWR2-GP
Item Code coCOicefusion
COOLER MASTER IceFusion Thermal Compound Model: RG-ICF-CWR2-GP

With enhanced thermally conductive non-curing compound, IceFusion provides excellent performance and stability. It is optimized for use between CPUs, and heatsinks or water-cooling solutions.
Features
1. High Thermal Conductivity.
2. Low Thermal Resistance.
3. Non-Corrosive.
4. Best Thermal Stability in High Temperature.
5. Excellent Adhesion.
6. Preservation in Room Temperature.
7. Easy Application with Included Razor Blade.
Specifications
Form Non-Curing Compound
Color White
Specific Gravity 2.5±0.2 (g/ml)
Thermal Conductivity 1.0 (W/m-K)
Temperature Stability -30~150 degree Celsius
Weight (g) 40

Price $ 15
HDD:
SeaGate 1.5TB 7200rpm SATA-2 NCQ 32meg Cache Barracuda 7200.11 Model: ST31500341AS

Price $ 138

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

The memory is not bad, but it's overkill. Check out G.Skill's Ripjaws series.

I also think the thermal paste is overkill. I believe the CPU cooler comes with thermal compound but if you don't want to use that, OCZ Freeze works great. In fact, tests actually show it's more effective than anything by Arctic Silver.

Change the hard drive. Seagate is not the most reliable hard drive manufacturer and that hard drive in particular is known for lots of problems (look at the reviews on Newegg). Other similar hard drives also have lots of problems. You are not going to find a well-built hard drive with that high of a capacity.
I recommend getting a Western Digital 1TB hard drive. If you need more space, buy two.

As for the power supply, I don't see any reason why you would need so much power unless you are planning more than what was said here. The newegg PSU calculator says you only need 559W. It's good to get about 100W higher than what you think you'll need.

Edited by RainbowSix, 14 June 2010 - 11:15 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

Are you building this PC or are you buying this from a manufacturer? If you're buying it from a retailer or manufacturer, you will not have as many customization options.

3939.png

#4 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hello RainbowSix
First I like to thank you for your fast reply.
Thank you very much for your advice about the repjaws memory. Tell you the truth I was thinking about it to choose that memory stick, between the two memory it only has a $40 difference. This is what’s on my mind, G.SKILL Single Pack RIPJAWS 4gig DDR3 1600MhzCL9 (PC3-12800) F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL.
I like to ask you one question, what do you mean by overkill? Like you said the memory and the thermal paste.
Thanks for the OCZ freeze compound, I just read about other people’s comments and I definitely choose this product. The thing is I never build a computer and I hope I will succeed.
I choose the Seagate HDD because I have two of them in my other computer and I never have any problems with them, Of course these two IDE two 80gigs HDD.
But definitely I need a good reliable HDD, so you think Western Digital is more reliable.
About the power supply, I only choose the Antec 1000w power supply because the video card is using 500w and the CPU 125-140w. So you think I don’t need the Antec 1000w psu. So you think like a 750-800w psu is enough for that system.
This is the two Major Store where I choose the parts for my new system.
http://www.gamedude.com.au/
http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5
Thank you very much for you help

#5 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Hello DJBPace07
First I like to thank you for the fast reply.
Yes I like to build my own computer, and this is my first time, to build a new system.
I bought a computer from a store before 4-5 years ago and that company already closed after 1 year later so I can’t get any updates from that company, it’s called IPEX.
So I decided to build a new computer.
If you have any suggestion about that system I appreciate that.
Thank you very much.

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

By overkill, I mean it's more expensive than necessary unless you're an enthusiast.

Seagate's 80-250GB hard drives are very good, but they don't seem to be nearly as good at making high-capacity drives. For those, Western Digital and/or Samsung are my top choices.

The video card requirement of 500W is determined after taking into account the rest of the system. The Radeon HD 5850 itself only pulls about 300W on load.
In other words, an average system with a Radeon HD 5850 video card will need a minimum of about 500W altogether.
For what you have now, I recommend a 700W power supply, though if you plan to get another 5850 and crossfire get an 800W power supply. Good brand names are Corsair, Cooler Master, OCZ, Thermaltake, Silverstone, and Antec.

Edited by RainbowSix, 15 June 2010 - 12:15 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

Judging by your links, I assume you're in Australia. Not all brands may be available there, but some are. I agree with RainbowSix, a 1000W power supply is very much overkill for this system. According to ATI, two Radeon 5870's in Crossfire need about 600W. If you go triple Crossfire with three GPU's, not suggested, you would need more power. You also probably don't need to buy thermal paste as it usually comes in the box pre-applied to the CPU cooler. The exception to this is if you are an enthusiast where every degree of heat can make or break an overclock.

3939.png

#8 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hi RainbowSix
I appreciate the time you spend on me. Couple things I already change on my list, like you suggested.
The PSU: THERMALTAKE Toughpower 750W EVO Blue Cable Management Model: W0308.
Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm SATA3 FAEX 64meg Cache CAVIAR BLACK Model: WD1002FAEX.
At last the OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound.
I choose that thermaltake PSU because they cost much cheaper than the 700w PSU, some time you pay extra money for the name.
So what do you think, it’s ready to go or need some more change. One more thing I have LCD control panel built in my computer case. My case called: XBLADE SILVER
Now I understand why they said you need a minimum 500w PSU, I thought the video card needed that much power.
Thank you very much your help and time.

#9 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

The CPU cooler does come with thermal compound in the box, but fortunately, it is not already applied. I imagine OCZ freeze would be much better.

Make sure to follow the instructions for applying thermal compound here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.p...ezeInstructions
I messed up my application the first time because I didn't read the instructions.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#10 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

Hi RainbowSix
Yes I will definitely buy that OCZ freeze; I want to make sure my CPU is nice and cool.
Thanks for the OCZ freeze instruction link: that’s worrying me to, how much to apply on the CPU.
I think my computer is ready to be built, and I hope I will succeed.
I like to thank you very much for the time you spent on helping me, I appreciate that very much.
Thanks again.

Edited by Popey, 17 June 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#11 Popey

Popey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hi DJBPace007
Yes I’m from Brisbane, Australia.
I already change the PSU to a 750w at suggested by RainbowSix.
I don’t want to do crossfire in my computer; one video card is enough for me.
I like to thank you for your advice and help, I appreciate it.
Thanks Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users