Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my access priviliges to my files after virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ctxman

ctxman

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hi all. I recently had a virus/malware that is now cleaned up thanks to Mole in the Virus forum. See thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/320868/virus-lost-access-privileges-internet-connection/

Unfortunately there is still one serious problem. I'm using a laptop with Windows XP Professional and it's a work computer. The virus was causing some google mis directs and pop ups and also wasn't always allowing my wireless internet to connect. That's all fixed now. It also has messed with my access to files that were on my computer before the virus. Basically all picture, excel, word, pdf etc...all files won't open up and it says I don't have access privileges to that file.

Anything that I've created since then I can open as usual, but almost all my data is not accessible at this point. I'm hoping someone here can help me get back my rights to my files.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

Did you?

For Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing, in order to see the Security tab. To disable simple file sharing, follow these steps: Click Start, and then click My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

If you are referring to My Pictures, My Docs, etc...files under Docs/Settings...then you just have to take ownership of the files.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#4 ctxman

ctxman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

This is already cleared and still have the problem. Even when looking at a directory in the "Thumbs" viewing it won't show a preview of a photo.

Thank you

#5 ctxman

ctxman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hamlius, I've tried that too. When I click on "Owner", a security message pops u pand says I only have permission to view the current owner on that particular file. Oddly enough it shows me as the current owner.

#6 ctxman

ctxman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Here is a link to my other post where I got the virus cleaned up. Scroll down towards the bottom and you can see the problem with ownership. On the left is a newer file after the virus affected my computer. It is what I think is normal and I can open it just fine. On the right is a file that was created before the virus hit me. You can see a couple screen shots to see the difference in authorization rights.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic320868-45.html

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

I don't have Pro...but I have installed the Security tab on my systems with XP Home.

Can you access the Security tab on these files? This would be a direct way of changing permissions so that you can access the files.

Louis

#8 ctxman

ctxman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi Louis,

I do have the security tab, but under the "Permissions for Administrators", it's grayed out and I can't modify anything. When I click on "Advanced", I see my name along with "system" and "administrators". When I click on "owner", a message pops up saying I only have permission to view the current owner. When I click on"OK", it shows my name as the current owner. Something very strange caused by the virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users