Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help speeding up slow computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KateetaK

KateetaK

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hey everyone,

My computer has been performing much slower than usual. Could you guys help me speed it up somehow? (I have HiJackThis, if needed). I also want to get rid of any unnecessary programs or programs that I didn't know were on here and are harmful, that sort of thing. I look forward to your replies. :huh:

Kate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hello Kate,

You might start by checking out the following post by Quietman7. There are so many things that can slow a computer down over time. I think Quietman covers many of the basics pretty well. This will at least give you a place to start. Then if you still have issues, maybe we can get down to some specifics.

Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

#3 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

I did some of this stuff, but there is so much there. It's a bit overwhelming, and I am not sure how to do some of it. Is there any other way we could check files or something? By the way, I'm not that great with this kind of thing. So what I did do, and always do, is cleared my cache and all the temp. internet files and things like that, the CCleaner, and I forget what else. It was late.

Edit: I have come to these forums before for help with the same thing (slow, odd acting computer), and the other times I was taken step by step through things that included using HiJackThis. Could we please do something like that?

Edited by KateetaK, 14 June 2010 - 12:57 PM.

#4 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Sorry Kate,

I haven't been trained or cleared to assist with malware removal here. Please be patient. Everyone here has been extremely busy but I'm sure someone will be along to help as soon as they can.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hello,
My experience is more RAM will speed up your pc and resolve many problems on your pc
You can keep all programs
For vista you need at least 2GB of RAM
And to be at safe side,after all clean ups of virus,trojans etc.,enable DEP for all files.
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users