Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows has encountered a problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hello,

Just a few hours ago my screen was frozen right after I tried to install this microsoft codec, so the only option I had was to do a hard reset. When my computer turned back on, I got this message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be cause by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: An unexpected I/0 error has occurred.

__

I didn't have any usb device or removable media in.

I can only access my Set up Utility at start up, which has this menu: Main-Advanced-Display-Security- Boot - Exit
A friend told me to try to get to my BIOS, which I have no idea how at the start up.

I don't have a recovery disk, or the installation disk ( Vista was pre installed, and never came with a disk or a recovery manager built inside)

I have a Toshiba-L305D-S5892
Vista 32

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Help is really appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hi :huh:.

STOP Error E9

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hi :huh:.

STOP Error E9

Louis

Thanks, that thread is to no use. The guy never got his problem solved, that thread is full of questions. I see that there is answers, but no one has said it solved the issue.
I don't see how it could be hardware, if I downloaded software then right after it failed. I read that to replace the harddrive? Then others say it won't do anything, that it is more then that. Using a recovery disk?? I stated that I don't have one, could you help me find one? I can download it? Or what? I don't want to download the wrong one, and not have it work.

#4 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

I opened up my laptop and took out the CD/DVD+RW, booted it back up and now the I get this message:

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I looked around, people said it is harddrive failure, to get a new one. But atm I am broke, I have a external HD. Is there anyway I can run my computer off of that? Once I buy a New HD, would I have to buy Vista? Since my laptop came with it pre-installed.

#5 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi, I downloaded the repair Cd from NEOSMART.

Once I am at the System Recovery Options, it tells me to pick a operating system. However there is non listed. So I press load drivers, but I do not know what to select.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

I provided you with the best info I could find...on your stated error. This is not intended to be anything more than...additional info on the situation that you now find yourself to be in. Any suggestions that you decide to try...are your own initiatives.

"For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.07

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
.>>

That message comes up when the system boot options have been changed...to instruct the system to boot from the network device.

My experience is that this occurs when the CMOS battery needs replacement. The fact that you have a laptop...complicates this because it appears to me that Toshiba hardwires the CMOS battery and doesn't use the CR 2032 normally found in a desktop.

To replace the CMOS battery on this laptop...I would suggest taking the system to a shop, with the understanding that replacing that item...may not result in correcting your current issues.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2010 - 07:33 AM.
Clarity

#7 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Do you know what would of caused this?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

AFAIK...every battery either wears out or needs recharging, if rechargeable.

No difference with batteries contained in desktops or laptops.

Replacing the CMOS battery is not necessarily a solution to your error message...just my best guess to what could be wrong, based on the PXE error data.

Louis

#9 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

So, it is more of a chance that the CMOS battery died, rather that software corrupting my HDD?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Reading material:

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-C...n&id=817785

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

Hard Drive Data Corruption - http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/baddata.htm

What is a bad sector - http://www.tech-faq.com/bad-sector.shtml

First...understand that files...get corrupted. "Corrupt" is just another way of saying "damage". A corrupted file is a damaged file...a corrupted file system is a damaged file system.

A damaged hard drive...is something entirely different.

Files do not damage hard drives...while either a bad file system or a bad hard drive...can result in damaged files (since the files lie on both of these).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users