Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I do it wrong?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjacksonx2

cjacksonx2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

I'm confused. I know you guys are volunteers and you guys get to posts as fast as you can in order. I've been waiting 3 days for an answer to my computer infection but I"m seeing other people/topic like this one http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323959/infected-with-a-redirect-virus/ was answered the same day, same problem 2 days after mine. Have I not titled mine right or not posted something right? I dont mean to complain. I understand every one of you are volunteers and a lot of effort goes into this. And believe me I'm much appreciative that something like this exists.I'm eager though to fix my problem and if I haven't posted it right, some direction on how I should to get some help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

Although, in general, the logs are picked up in order this is not always the case. The MRT volunteers are given free range to pick up whichever logs they like. It can depend on the experience of the MRT member: some are comfortable with certain operating systems, some have less experience than others so might stay away from difficult infections, some pick the difficult infections because they like the challenge, some have a heavier workload than others, etc.

At present there are over 300 unanswered topics in the forum and the approximate average wait time to receive help is 5 days.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello cjacksonx2

I can only speak for myself but there are different reasons I pick up a topic and when I do.

I try to do a mix between old and new topics about 65% to 70% old and the rest newer. During the day I will pick up allot of older topics and at night I will pick up more newer ones to try and help people during the night.

Some of the things I will check for
is it a 64bit system I don't know much about 64bit systems so I won't do many
has the person tried to do the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help as there is reasons why we want the people we help to follow these instructions.
Have they jumped straight to run combofix - as this is an indication how apt they are to follow instructions

one of the things I notice about your topic is you have not done the Preparation things that we ask and have gone straight to run combofix that is something that will keep you from getting help fast and most helpers won't touch it anyway. That is one of the things you will find at the top of every page not to run combofix until you are told to.

I hope this has explained a little my reasons as to why I haven’t got to yours yet – you may have to wait a couple more days at most but someone will come by and pick it up.

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#4 cjacksonx2

cjacksonx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

I ran the combofix before I found this site. I guess I could have refrained from admitting I had one, but opted not too since I really want help. Anyway, thanks again for answering. As I said in our PM I appreciate any help and guess I will have to sit back and be patient.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#5 cjacksonx2

cjacksonx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

has the person tried to do the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help as there is reasons why we want the people we help to follow these instructions.
Have they jumped straight to run combofix - as this is an indication how apt they are to follow instructions

one of the things I notice about your topic is you have not done the Preparation things that we ask and have gone straight to run combofix that is something that will keep you from getting help fast and most helpers won't touch it anyway. That is one of the things you will find at the top of every page not to run combofix until you are told to.

3 days since last response. 8 days total since original post. Computer is completely crashed. The loss of ones computer is always just chastisement for not seeing and following instructions. Duly punished. I will in the future endeavor to be less in a panic over the possible loss of all ones work data and take the time to read a forum cover to cover before posting. Thank you for lessons learned and your time and effort. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Apologies for the unnecessary quote. :trumpet:

Edited by cjacksonx2, 18 June 2010 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users