Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kna4977

kna4977

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Have Windows Vista and internet explorer is continuously locking up not responding and works intermittently. Have a few different anti-malware/anti-spyware products but they are not helping. When I try to run Hijack this, it gives an error message of your system denied write access to hosts file....you need to edit the file yourself. Now all graphics have a red x instead of showing the graphic. Not sure what to do at this point. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

The Show Pictures check box may not be selected. Launch Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia and put a check mark next to Show Pictures. If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Have a few different anti-malware/anti-spyware products but they are not helping.

What programs have you used and what did they find?

When I try to run Hijack this, it gives an error message of your system denied write access to hosts file....you need to edit the file yourself.

The HOSTS file is a text file that maps an IP address to a name. It has no extension and can be viewed using notepad by going to Start > Run and typing: notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Since the Hosts file is often used and altered by malware, some security programs (like Spybot S&D) will lock the file's read-only attributes as protection so it cannot be changed without your knowledge unless that feature is disabled.

The "system denied writes access" is normal when using HijackThis and other tools on Vista/Windows 7 due to the restrictions imposed by the Users Access Control (UAC). The HOSTS file is being protected. There is no need to worry about it and you can ignore the message when there is no evidence of malware infection. Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file, it does not do so without infecting other areas of your system so if you have evidence of malware infection, then you need to investigate further.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kna4977

kna4977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

The Show Pictures check box may not be selected. Launch Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia and put a check mark next to Show Pictures. If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Have a few different anti-malware/anti-spyware products but they are not helping.

What programs have you used and what did they find?

When I try to run Hijack this, it gives an error message of your system denied write access to hosts file....you need to edit the file yourself.

The HOSTS file is a text file that maps an IP address to a name. It has no extension and can be viewed using notepad by going to Start > Run and typing: notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Since the Hosts file is often used and altered by malware, some security programs (like Spybot S&D) will lock the file's read-only attributes as protection so it cannot be changed without your knowledge unless that feature is disabled.

The "system denied writes access" is normal when using HijackThis and other tools on Vista/Windows 7 due to the restrictions imposed by the Users Access Control (UAC). The HOSTS file is being protected. There is no need to worry about it and you can ignore the message when there is no evidence of malware infection. Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file, it does not do so without infecting other areas of your system so if you have evidence of malware infection, then you need to investigate further.

The computer is really slow and internet explorer is not responding and locks up. I went into tools internet options and reset internet explorer to default settings and it will work for a while like it is now and then I think it does some kind of update and I get the problems again and have to do this all over.

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware, and F-Secure Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware/Spyware and they all find nothing.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Have you tried using an alternate browser like Firefox to see if the same problem occurs?

Sounds like Windows may not be saving your settings but lets make sure you did it properly. Reset Internet Explorer Settings in XP or Vista using the automatic Fix it button in the instructions provided by Microsoft on that page. To manually reset the settings do this:
  • Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
  • Click Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open box, type: inetcpl.cpl
  • Click OK or press Enter.
  • If using Vista, click Start and type inetcpl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
The Internet Options dialog box appears.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Under "Reset Internet Explorer settings", click Reset. Then click Reset again.
  • When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" dialog box.
  • Start Internet Explorer again.
  • Instructions with screenshots if needed.
A slow browser is a common complaint with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another. If you have a lot of toolbars, BHOs and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling or removing those which are unnecessary. Sometimes Add-ons cause Internet Explorer to quit unexpectedly or not perform properly especially if it was poorly designed or was created for an earlier version of Internet Explorer. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can also impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).Many tool bars and add-ons come bundled with other software and can be removed via Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista, so start there first.

#5 kna4977

kna4977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

On a hunch I decided to go with firefox instead of IE and I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but that seems to have at least helped possibly even fixed the issue I was having. In that case it seems the problem is with IE???

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

In that case concentrate on some of the suggestions I previously provided for dealing with IE issues. For more suggestions, please refer to
It's not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues.

#7 kna4977

kna4977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

In that case concentrate on some of the suggestions I previously provided for dealing with IE issues. For more suggestions, please refer to
It's not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Although I am using firefox now, I am still having issues with graphics and loading pages. Sometimes I will have to reload a page up to 3 times before I can view it correctly. I will try all the things you mentioned above first, but is there anything you can think of that would help speed things up or prevent me from having to do this? thanks

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:25 AM

There are many variables that affect speed and performance both with your browser and computer itself. The link I provided contains information for the most common solutions. However, since you appear mainly concerned about graphics, which I do not use, you may want to ask about this specifically in another area like the Software forum or Graphics.

#9 kna4977

kna4977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

My computer does Windows Updates and then it stops working again. I have had to restart in Safe Mode with Networking to be able to get on the internet otherwise it locks up on everything that has to do with the internet and doesn't respond. Tried to get to system restore in regular mode and couldn't and tried to open backup but it would give an error message of Backup application couldn't start due to an internal error 0xC0003005 please check your system and try again. Please advise. I don't really care about the graphics actually but don't like seeing a lot of red Xs.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

There is some discussion about 0xC0003005 at Microsoft Technet
here and at Microsoft Answers here.

It appears to be related to Error code 0x80070002. Although these involve Windows 7, a Google search shows similar complaints of the errors with Vista.

#11 kna4977

kna4977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

I have it working for the most part now, but every time I try to visit a new site or open a new browser window I get the following message. I have to click try again to load the page. Is there a way to eliminate having to do this?

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

When doing a search for The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading error, you will find numerous complaints (about 1,260,000) with various causes and possible solutions. The folks at Mozilla Wiki even mention it here

Most of the links point to various discussions like this thread which includes suggestions to correct the issue. Another possible fix is provided in this article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users