Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP keeps shutting down error message:

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nufc

nufc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Alright I have a Windows XP by Fry's.. its specifications are found here:
http://www.fryssupport.net/fm8130.cfm (ill post them below as well)

It was working fine but then it started randomly shutting down when I was using it. Then it got worse and worse to the point where it is now where it will shut down about 5 minutes after I start it back up. About 1 in 10 times it shuts down I get a blue screen with the error message:

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

anyone know what I should do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications:

CPU: Intel 830, 3.0GHz w/HT
Memory: 1 GB DDR2-533, PC2-4200 (2 - 512 GB module)
Hard Drive: 200 GB SATA Hard Drive, 7200rpm, 8 MB cache
Other Drives:
16X DVD-ROM w/customized bezel
16X DVD Double Layer Dual Burner w/customized bezel
Memory Card Drive for CF Type I/Type II, MD, MS, MS Pro, MS Duo, MS-ROM, SD, MMC I/MMC II, SM, and xD memory card
Motherboard: ECS 945G-M3, Intel 945G chipset
Accessories:
Optical mouse w/ scroll wheel
Multimedia Keyboard
Creative 2.1 Speaker System
Microphone
Port Connectors: 2 x PS/2, 1 x Serial, 1 x Parallel, 1 x VGA, 1 set audio ports, 6 x USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 back), 2 x Firewire (1 front, 1 back)
Power Supply: 400 Watt
Operating System: Windows XP MCE 2005 Edition
Devices:
56K Modem
10/100/1000 LAN
Integrated Sound
Software:
Corel Office Suite 12
Arcsoft Showbiz DVD 2
Nero Burning Software
Norton AntiVirus 2005 (free 90-day trial)
Ulead PhotoImpact 8SE
Recovery DVD
Phoenix Pro Hard Drive recovery

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2010 - 08:45 AM.
Moved to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Does it run properly in safe mode?

Try the following.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I will try but my computer will most likely shut down before it finishes.

#4 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Does it run properly in safe mode?

Try the following.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

okay I got it downloaded but the boxes are empty its not showing anything when its open I tried refreshing it too but nothing shows up?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

OK, that's something that happens under certain circumstances. Do this for me:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type control sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.

In the Write debugging information list, click Complete memory dump or click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK.

Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now.

When the system reboots, it should then be set to record a snapshot of any BSOD that occurs. This will give us a better chance of trying to overcome what is wrong.

Louis

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

(Oops - didn't mean to butt in, hamluis - I had a similar situation recently and my ah-ha got the best of me.)

If BSV says 0 crashes down in the bottom left corner you need to set up your system to create a small dump file and not restart on system failure.

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings and make it look the example below.

I would be good to know what XP thinks about your system configuration (not what Frys thinks about it):

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 June 2010 - 09:06 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

(Oops - didn't mean to butt in, hamluis - I had a similar situation recently and my ah-ha got the best of me.)

If BSV says 0 crashes down in the bottom left corner you need to set up your system to create a small dump file and not restart on system failure.

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings and make it look the example below.

I would be good to know what XP thinks about your system configuration (not what Frys thinks about it):

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MICHAEL
System Manufacturer INTELR
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 11/8/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name MICHAEL\Elliot
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 963.62 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#8 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

OK, that's something that happens under certain circumstances. Do this for me:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type control sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.

In the Write debugging information list, click Complete memory dump or click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK.

Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now.

When the system reboots, it should then be set to record a snapshot of any BSOD that occurs. This will give us a better chance of trying to overcome what is wrong.

Louis

I set that up as well.

#9 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

alright so i got the blue screen error system today... the bottom part said (ill type below) then after I restarted it again the second part showed up....

first message:
------
Technical Information:
***Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000BC2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xA85F79E8)
*** WPN111 sys-address A85F79E8 base at A85 BA000, Date Stamp 4337ab28

second message:
------
Stop: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectadely with a status O
The System has been shut down.

----

any ideas?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

D1 STOP errors: The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

21A STOP errors: This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Without more data, I'd have to guess that you might be infected...just a wild guess.

Let's see what Jose and others have to say :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

D1 STOP errors: The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

21A STOP errors: This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Without more data, I'd have to guess that you might be infected...just a wild guess.

Let's see what Jose and others have to say :thumbsup:.

Louis

Ive scanned with AVG and SpyBot and can't find anything though...

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Neither AVG...nor Spybot...nor anything else used singly...has been known to detect all forms of malware that cause problems on systems.

That's why...if you go through the BC malware forums...you will be asked to do a series of scans, using different tools...and none of them will be AVG or Spybot.

There is nothing...that finds everything. There are no two products...that find everything...and so on.

I cannot make you believe the STOP 21A error message, but I can ask you to look it up, using Google...and you will see that every reference will include words to the effect of "your computer security is possibly comporomised."

Two of the better sites for STOP error info:

http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0xC000021A

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

When the meaning of that sinks home, I suggest that you start a new thread in the Am I Infected forum...or simply ask me to move this thread to the appropriate forum for dealing with possible system security issues arising from possible malware.

Louis

#13 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Neither AVG...nor Spybot...nor anything else used singly...has been known to detect all forms of malware that cause problems on systems.

That's why...if you go through the BC malware forums...you will be asked to do a series of scans, using different tools...and none of them will be AVG or Spybot.

There is nothing...that finds everything. There are no two products...that find everything...and so on.

I cannot make you believe the STOP 21A error message, but I can ask you to look it up, using Google...and you will see that every reference will include words to the effect of "your computer security is possibly comporomised."

Two of the better sites for STOP error info:

http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0xC000021A

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

When the meaning of that sinks home, I suggest that you start a new thread in the Am I Infected forum...or simply ask me to move this thread to the appropriate forum for dealing with possible system security issues arising from possible malware.

Louis

I trust you, I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about computers then I do. Please move it.

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

That Jose always says the same thing:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#15 nufc

nufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:03 PM

That Jose always says the same thing:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

am scanning now... I did MBAM awhile back but I will do SAS now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users