Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I e-mail malware fix links to myself..?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ross T

Ross T

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

My computer has the AV security suite malware thing workin over time on it. I cant do anything with it. I'm using a loaner from a friend right now. Mine is sitting right here next to me on the floor. I did a goggle search that brought me here to learn how to "start windows XP in the safe mode" I think I can handle that part ok, so I moved on to reading how to rid my computer of the AV security suite. While browsing over the steps I noticed it said to print or down load the instructions and the links I will need to do it right. I dont have a printer. My question is, can I email the links and info needed to myself. Then connect my computer up open it in safe mode and down load the links and directions from my own e-mail without having any problems from the AV security suite? Thank you in advance to any and all help. Oh, 1 other thing. Im not real sharp on these gadgets. I may need clarification if you get too deep.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hello,

Do you have a flash drive? You can download the programs you need to that.

Also, you can copy and paste the instructions into Notepad and save them as files on the flash drive.

If you need them printed out, you can then take the flash drive to a computer with a printer and print them out from the notepad files you made.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Ross T

Ross T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hey thanx very much Orange Blossom. No flash drive. I have a friend that owns a UPS store just a few miles away. I can send the programs to him in the morning, and have him print them out for me. I was thinkin I may have got this done today.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

To clarify a couple points. It is the instructions that can be printed out. Programs cannot be printed out.

Do you have another kind of removable media, such a floppy disk or CD?

Another idea: have the one computer open to the instructions while you work on the infected one. You did say they were right next to each other.

You MIGHT be able to download the programs you need in Safe Mode with Networking and update those programs that way. I'd stay connected to the internet only as long as it takes to download the programs and update them since you won't have any protection in place.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Ross T

Ross T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Again O/B thank you. Im glad you made that clear. Im sure I would have realized the situation soon enough. So I can send the instructions via e-mail to myself and print them out to follow. As for the programs, that meed to be down loaded, well now we are into the "just how dumb am I " area. I cant do the side by side read from one work on the other because I have only the borrowed tower. Just 1 screen, key board, mouse etc. I have some blank unopened cd's that I bought to record music on. Will those work? If so, I would assume I load 1 into this unit, and then go to the tutorial for that AV s/s and burn the programs onto the CD. I think as I remember there was more than 1 program to download. I will try to get through that portion on my own. I'll check back here to see if you have had an chance to respond if I can get through that. 1 of the things I'll try and figure out is, if the CD will have enough room to take the programs, and if so how to somehow label and separate each one so I can determine what one Im opening. This is going to require more brain than I have available at the present time. I dont wake up well at all. I need a substantial amount of coffee, before I move ahead any more.... Thank you Orange Blossom. ......RT

#6 Ross T

Ross T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Well, I must say. Im walkin around like I know something. Truth be known.. I dont diddley squat. But I did fix my computer and there isnt a holiday inn express anywhere around here at all. So it must have been from ORANGE BLOSSOMS HELP!! I spent hrs tryin to get the malware bytes program burned into that CD. My buddy who was loaning me the one I was trying to use, said hey dip sh** it doesnt have a writer/burner. Just a player copier. So the next day I e-mailed the two links to myself. I went to the library, put my CD in the writer slot. and hit burn. Bamn done. Straight back here with the CD. I pluged mine in, Open it in safe mode. I opened the printed directions, then fired up my computer in safe mode. I down loaded the programs and ran them. I did the scan, and remover thing. I had the entire deal done in about 3 hrs.
Thanx again Orange Blossom. .............RT

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

I'm glad you got things fixed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom

#8 Ross T

Ross T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

well I spoke too soon, I have other problems now. the mod moved it to "am I infected" This is a night mare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users