Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What one?!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chunky975

chunky975

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

So i have a copy of windows 7 and when i go to install i have to pick which version i want. I have a choice of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (i think either that or x 84) or Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
I'm not really sure which is which but i know i need 32bit to run on my laptop. Any help please.
There is no option for x32 btw.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

x86 is the 32 bit version.

#3 chunky975

chunky975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

ok thanks :huh:

#4 Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

The term x86 goes back to the days of the old 8086 16 bit systems. Seems like somewhere along the way they could have started refering to the 32 bit system as 32 bit or x32 and saved a lot of confusion. Keeps us on our toes I guess.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

What are your system specs mainly processor and RAM.

I would like for you to do the following:

The below tutorial is compliments of KeyboardNinja.

You are likely seeing this tutorial because someone helping you asked to see your computer's specifications. This tutorial will help you post your specs with minimal effort on your part.

First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced System Information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal. I use it all the time.

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Here, you have a couple of options. You can Download from FileHippo.com, Download from Piriform.com, or visit the builds page. If you want to download Speccy and install it, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look like this:
Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by cryptodan, 18 June 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

FWIW: If you have a really old laptop, you might be restricted to 32-bit...but a more recent laptop ought to be able to run either 32-bit or 64-bit versions (or both).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users