Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connects but no internet on wireless

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lindadiehl1718

lindadiehl1718

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

I can connect to any public network but have no internet access while everyone else around me does. I was always able to connect to my home network fine until a few days ago. Now every morning and after a few hours of having my laptop off when I turn it on it connects to my home network but to get internet I have to unplug the router for 10 seconds. Everyone else at home has no issue so its obviously not the router?

I have a dell inspiron using windows 7. The network card says it has the latest update.

When this happens at home it says connected with no internet access and the error message I receive from the network diagnostics tool is that the problem is the router and to reset it which I do. (however like I said no one else has this issue) When away from home and trying to get internet it says connected but limited connectivity and the diagnostics tool says there isnt a valid ip address. I try to renew the ip address but that doesnt work.

Ive googled every forum I can find and gone through every trouble shooting bit of advice others have been given for similar problems that I thought might possibly have anything to do with mine but to no avail.

Oh and the only thing I changed before I started having problems at home was to follow these steps...i went to the network and sharing center, clicked on change adapter settings, right clicked the wireless connection, highlighted internet protocol version 4, clicked on properties and added my gateway address manually. I opened it up today to reverse that but the box obtain IP address automatically IS checked and my ip address is not there to remove.

I even tried a restore point to about 3 weeks ago hoping that will fix the problem I have at home. Even if it does...I still have the problem with the public networks.

I hope someone can help...PLEASE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

I'm no pro at this stuff, but this sounds like you're over exemplifying the situation. What I would do is completely disconnect everything and start from scratch. But even before that, take the modem you have, disconnect it, bring it back to our service provider and request for a new one. Comcast will give you a new one on the spot (I just did this today, lol), but it may differ with Verizon. Once you have a new modem, connect it directly to your computer (skip the router for now) and power up. Check to see if your wired internet connection is working. If everything is status quo there, then shut down your system and add the router to the picture. The long and short of it is basically connect the cat-5 cable from modem to your router then connect another cat-5 cable from your router to the computer. Boot up and again check if your WIRED connection works. If all seems well, then shut down again, disconnect your wired connection and boot up one last time. Hopefully, your computer will pick up the wireless signal and continue as it were before the issues. If it doesn't I would consider going into the the router settings and changing the channel of the router. Sometimes this will help reduce interference from users sharing a more common channel. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else, sorry :-( like I said i'm no pro, lol. Good luck!

#3 lindadiehl1718

lindadiehl1718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

Jaq,
As I stated no other laptop or desktop had an issue and they are on the same network. Thanks for your suggestion though.

The problem with suddenly not being able to connect at home was due to the fact that my husband set a priority on the router giving the ps3 first priority, and my laptop second, which will affect DNS from what I gather.

However, the problem still exists that I can connect but get "limited access" i.e. no internet on public networks. If my laptop is searching for a DNS each time I try to connect to a public network that could be the problem however in the options I have selected to search automatically for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users