Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfering files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

i have ordered a new computer( hp p6330f)its os is windows 7. i have a seagate external hard drive that i have used to backup doc,music,photos and home videos i did this on a computer with windows xp as the os. my question is, can i connect the usb cable from the external drive to my new computer and access my files and use them like i could with my old computer? also, the restore software that cam with the seagate is for windows xp or earlier can this be used with the new one, if not how do i access or restore the files from the external drive? i hope i have explained my situation adequately? thanks, larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

<<...can i connect the usb cable from the external drive to my new computer and access my files and use them like i could with my old computer...>>

Sure. An external drive is just a storage drive, can be attached to any system with proper connection...files will be readable, as long as they are not encrypted.

<<...also, the restore software that cam with the seagate is for windows xp or earlier can this be used with the new one,...>>

That's a question for Seagate, provider of the software/drive, to answer.

<<...if not how do i access or restore the files from the external drive?>>

Same comment as question immediately above.

Win 7 also has XP compatibility mode, Win 7 and XP Compatibility Mode.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users