Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with upgrading for better gaming performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blank.black

blank.black

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I currently own a TOSHIBA Satellite L505-S5990 laptop.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Home Premium
Manufacturer TOSHIBA
Model Satellite L505
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total size of hard disk(s) 289 GB
Disk partition (C:) 183 GB Free (289 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics
Display adapter type Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 1341 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1213 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1883
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

I am not satisfied with my gaming experience on this laptop and was wondering if I could upgrade/tweak it in anyway to help with gaming. The cheaper I can get this done for, the better. Also, I do not have good knowledge of computer/tech stuff, so please advise accordingly. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

Laptop with integrated Intel graphics doesn't really leave options for upgrades to improve gaming. It was never meant to play demanding 3D games to begin with.

It already has 3gigs of memory, so that really cannot be improved upon. You might see if there is a BIOS option to allocate more than 128meg of memory to the video card, other than that I have no ideas.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Laptop with integrated Intel graphics doesn't really leave options for upgrades to improve gaming. It was never meant to play demanding 3D games to begin with.

It already has 3gigs of memory, so that really cannot be improved upon. You might see if there is a BIOS option to allocate more than 128meg of memory to the video card, other than that I have no ideas.

Thanks for your response dpunisher. How exactly do I check for the BIOS option you mentioned? How do I get to it? Where do I look?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

Upon bootup, are there any messages to hit DEL/F1/F2/F10 or another button to get into BIOS, or get into "setup"? That is what you will need to do. I do not personally know what button to hold down on Toshibas as they seem to use different ones depending upon model/build date.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 June 2010 - 06:10 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yes. Upon bootup I get the following messages:

F2 - Setup Utility
F12 - Boot Manager

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

Yes. Upon bootup I get the following messages:

F2 - Setup Utility
F12 - Boot Manager

In your case you'd be using the F2 option to enter the setup utility. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 blank.black

blank.black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

ok i click F2 and then where do i go? what do i have to look at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users