Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not displaying desktop icons on Bootup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twills

twills

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

I have a rather annoying problem with my XP pro laptop and would be most appreciative of any help. When I bootup, the pc displays my desktop, without any icons, then appears to do nothing. I have left it in this state for up to 15 mins, before launching explorer.exe through the Start -> Run.

After explorer launches, my normal desktop returns and I can use the PC to perform most functions normally.

There are however a few additional annoying 'quirks'. The first of these is that the XP Themes appears to have stopped working. It is possible to restart the themes, however the next time the computer is booted, the XP Themes have again stopped working. In addition, the clock has lost 15mins of time (since the symptoms started appearing)

Perhaps the most annoying aspect is that my wireless internet drops out. I've done some exploration and it seems that the Wireless Zero Config has been disabled. This can be restarted from within services, but regardless of the settings I try, getting an internet connection (even after reboot) is sporadic at best. Even using WinsockXPfix doesn't work all of the time and requires a reboot. The only thing that seems to work is to enable both the DHCP Client and Wireless Zero Config to restore normality in wireless functionality.

When the internet is up, I also suffer from the Google redirect virus, but that's not the greatest of my worries at the moment and will deal with that in due course in the appropriate forum.

I have run DDS with success, however Gmer continually crashes my computer, therefore I don't have a log file for Gmer.

I would be most appreciative of any help or suggestions to try and rectify these very annoying afflictions.

Many Thanks in advance,
twills

Edited by twills, 13 June 2010 - 08:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users