Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usp Ports Keep Freezing My Pc!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MrIzzard

MrIzzard

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hi there,
Can i just say thank you in advance if you can help with - maybe this is something you've come in to contact with before...

I've had my PC since 98 / 99 and is currently operating XP pro (SP1).

It has 3 USB ports - 2 in the back and 1 in the side. I guess these are the 1.1 versions i hear about (not 2.0)

About a year ago the side port developed a problem where the screen, mouse, keyboard would freeze if a device (any at all) were put in it. Even then when the device were removed, the PC would still be frozen, so i had to reboot.

However the other 2 ports in the back worked fine, so i kept using them.

Now in the last couple of days, the last 2 back USB ports have the same problem - so i'm unable to connect things like printer, pda, digi camera etc.

Other background info...

Last weekend i installed a new Broadband provider (NTL - in the UK), and back ports were still cool. Broadband is connect via ethernet socket, not USB anyway. I then installed the Netguard virus software that came with the broadband, and my PC kept seizing up. Eventually i was able to stop it running Netguard at start-up, and uninstall it - the PC seemed then to be quite healthy again. Now i've noticed the problems with the USB ports.

Are the 2 related do you think?

Do you think my USB ports are just burnt out / physical motherboard problem?

Could this easily be solved with adjusting something in Device Manager (or similar)?

Many thanks for any help in advance
cheers

James

Edited by MrIzzard, 11 October 2005 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

go to start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system. Click on hardware tab and select device manager. Scroll down to USB devices, should be close to bottom.

There should be a + sign to left of USB devices, click on that and it will expand to list all devices. Do any of your devices have a yellow or red mark next to them? Right click on device and click on properties, what error messages are listed.

#3 MrIzzard

MrIzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:41 PM

Hey there

Had a look, and it all appears to be hunky dory

ho hum!

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:27 PM

Go back to the Device Manager and right click on the USB Devices and remove them, then restart your computer and let Windoze reload the drivers from the driver cache and see if this will solve the problem.

Any reason you haven't installed SP2?

#5 MrIzzard

MrIzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hi there
I've just this second got SP2 sorted! I'll try the remove / reinstall thing now - thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i get on!
cheers
James

#6 MrIzzard

MrIzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

Just tried that, but still with no joy i'm afraid
any other ideas?

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

This can be the chipset on the MB.
What make & model of computer? What make & model of MB, you should be able to find this out by looking on the MB, usually between the PCI slots.
Can you open the case and look at the big chips on the MB and see if they are VIA?

You can download Everest from here and post the info on your MB.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Edited by River_Rat, 10 October 2005 - 09:43 PM.

#8 MrIzzard

MrIzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:53 AM

Hey there
Thank you for your time to help out.

Here's some of the info from the Everest report....

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Duron, 700 MHz (7 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI K7TM Pro (MS-6340) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
System Memory 320 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/21/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

System Properties:
Manufacturer Packard Bell NEC
Product 00000000000000000000000
Version P160119701
Serial Number 004902720381

Is that all the info you need?
cheers again
James

#9 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

It is probably not the motherboard, unless it is failing, since the ports worked initially. If the problem is not the drivers, then it may be a physical problem.

You can pickup a usb 1.1 card for under $20.00 if you look around. It might be worth getting one and installing it to see if that solves your problem.

#10 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:33 PM

James
This is more then like a MB problem either Driver or BIOS or just a part of the MB gone bad.
I did locate the drivers and BIOS updates for that MB which may or may not solve your problem.
I do not believe this is a Windows problem. I will provide the link for the updates for your MB.
Be very careful when flashing the BIOS this procedure should only be done by someone that has experience in doing so, this can leave your MB totally useless if done incorrectly. There is another option and that would be to purchase a PCI USB card and install it if you have an empty PCI slot.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/down...?UID=101&kind=1

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:20 AM

Everest should give you the info to update your usb drivers. Try that before purchasing anything else.

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 October 2005 - 09:23 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

The biggest problems that I had with Durons and TBirds was the VIA chipset. Make sure that the 4 in 1 drivers are updated (I understand that they call them something like Hyperion drivers these days).

A BIOS upgrade would probably help also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users