Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDs + DVDs can't be read

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 FTWalker

FTWalker

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

Had a problem that cropped up recently on the wife's laptop:
The DVD burner quit reading any sort of disc (blank, used, CD, DVD) very shortly after I did a malware removal. All it does is "hunt" for a disc whenever one is inserted. The "Recording" tab is also now missing.
I have tried all of the general fixes that I could find - registry fixes like the Upper and Lower Filter deletion, the "Drive Type" registry fix, removing the drive in Device Manager and letting Windows re-detect, and even phisically removing the drive and re-seating it. None had any effect. The one thing that I haven't tried yet is to see if the laptop will boot from a bootable disc. I have a Knoppix live CD that I can try - when I find it - that should be able to tell me if Windows is the culprit or not.
Now, I understand that it's entirely possible that the drive has packed up and quit, but it seems too coincidental that it did so right after that malware removal.

Is there any more obscure fixes (registry or otherwise) that I can try before I give up and attemt to find a replacement drive?

Specs:
HP Pavillion dv8301nr w/ Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP3)

Edit to add: The drive is detected fine, and there's no yellow exclamation point in the Dev. Manager, before or after a re-detect. The drive appears in all respects to work fine - it just doesn't read the discs.

Edited by FTWalker, 13 June 2010 - 02:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

I'll ask someone to reply to your other topic, first: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1782774

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

It appears to me you have an open malware thread which needs attention.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this thread, pending resolution of the possible malware problem. You may PM me to reopen this thread once your malware thread is resolved.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users