Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DCOM error help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjt27

mjt27

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

Hi,

I have been getting this error in my event viewer for some time now

Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10016
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

I'm running WinXP Home 32 bit

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20).
This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center

Help and Support says:

To assign permissions

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} refers to the Windows Management and Instrumentation

The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and double-click DCOM Config.
In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.

I can get this far but then I'm not sure what I do from here to correct this error I'm getting
Have no idea what kind of permissions should be listed in there

On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box, select Customize, and then click Edit.

I have attached a screen shot for you if that helps

Could somebody please walk me thru the last part with
the permissions.....thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323563/dcom-help-plz/

Above link reflects your original post...the topic was moved to Am I Infected forum in an effort to determine if malware is a contributing factor in receiving this particular error. The frequency of the error seems abnormal to me and the move is a precautionary one.

Thus far, no one has picked up your thread in that forum.

I suggest that you wait until someone does pick it up and we can eliminate or substantiate the probability/possibility of malware.

Once that is done, it can be pursued as an XP forum item.

Thanks for understanding.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this thread. In the event that you are given a clean bill of health...you can then PM me or any Mod and this thread can be reopened.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users