Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System background tasks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djseanpc

djseanpc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

I have noticed that normally my system usage monitor is around 1-3% when idle (not opening/running any programs on my own). Using process explorer I have noticed that at times my system usage will jump to around 13% and stay at 13% eventhough I am not running any programs. Process Explorer does not show any specific file running but it does show that "system" is running. When this happens it will show that "system" is running for hours.

Sometimes I have to use a "hard shutdown" at this point to get the computer to shut down completely (it normally gets hung up on the part where it says computer is shutting down. Once it boots back up the system usage goes back to normal (1-3%) for a period of time (a few days or so) but then just out of the blue the system usage will go to 13% when I'm doing nothing.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I have run Norton, Malwarebytes, and Sophos Anti-rootkit but all of them come back "clean". Initially I thought it had something to do with my Roxio backup program because my event viewer log was showing consistent VSS errors, but this is just a guess. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

13% is nothing alarming. Sometimes, PE itself uses a good chunk of your CPU cycles.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 djseanpc

djseanpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ok. Thank you very much for the reply. I get a bit nervous when my cpu usage spikes :huh:

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users