Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Installing Comodo Firewall 4

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi, I've been using Comodo Firewall for months now, and it recently gave me a pop up to update it, when I clicked on it I was taken to: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html , I then clicked on the link to download the new Comodo Firewall setup. Everything seemed to go off properly with no trouble at all.

I then double click setup icon to install, select english, accept terms of use, choose to install the maximum defense firewall, choose not to join the community help thing, choose not to use their DNS server, and finally hit install. (reference of the server, though maybe not relevant http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6122/comodo1.png )

Everything is going smoothly until it tells me that the installation has ended Prematurely because my system has not been modified properly (exact words here: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9221/comodo2.png )... and I cannot seem to fix it, I even turned off my Avira Antivir Guard after I've restarted my computer, as soon as it starts up. I am currently without any real firewall except Windows Firewall... please help me resolve this issue with haste :[

here are the followup pop ups : http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9198/comodo3.png and finally http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9872/comodo4.png

Edited by nyfromdahood, 12 June 2010 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Heres some more information that might matter... I have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3, and the reason I'm using Comodo is because it was suggested to by one of the members of the Bleeping Computer team after he/she helped me rid my computer of a really nasty virus/hacker a few months back... so I figure someone here can help me with this issue >.>

(sorry if my double posting irritates anyone)

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

No worries about a double post mate, you were just giving additional info.

It looks like you might want to run the Comodo Clean-up tool to get rid of any remnants of the old Comodo firewall. I'm assuming you DID uninstall the old one right? Try that and see if it helps.

You MAY have to run something like the Windows Installer Clean-up utility if it still won't install after running the Comodo Cleanup tool. The unsuccessful install attempts may need to be cleared out.

If you DO have to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, make sure you understand how to use it. If you don't then ask first please.

#4 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Okay... I ran the comodo clean up tool and it said that all of the files were removed successfully, I then attempted to run the comodo set up again and I ended up getting the same messages... I've never used the windows installer clean-up utlity before, please tell me what I must know about it =/

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm sorry nyfromdahood, I didn't see you replied yesterday and I THOUGHT I was looking for it.

Download the Utility from the link above. I like to save downloaded files to desktop, but save it to where ever you are used to saving them. once you have saved it, double click it and follow the installation wizard. WHen it is finished installing it will NOT leave a shortcut on your desktop. you have to to: My computer>C: > Program Files > Windows Instastaller cleanup. once you open Windows Installer cleanup you will see three files in there. You want to click (or double click depending on how you have your mouse options set) on msicuu. A box will open up that says Installed Products. You are looking for CIS v4. Highlight it and click remove. Make sure nothing else is highlighted before you click remove, because anything highlighted WILL BE removed.

After you have done that you should be good to go to install the new firewall. If it were me though, I would get re-download the Comodo file to make sure the one you have didn't have any corrupted files in it.

Let me know if this helps or you have any other questions. I promise you I will keep a better watch on this thread. Sorry again I missed it yesterday

#6 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

I ran the Installer Cleanup and no programs named CIS V4 or any other comodo related products showed up.

I've already tried reinstalling the setup and still no change =/, I noticed on the website that it says the setup I downloaded is for 32-bit Windows 7/Vista/XP SP2, and that every other option says the system requirements are the same.... could it not be downloading because I have Service Pack 3 for XP? I originally downloaded Comodo when I had Service Pack 2...

(note: I did try using the Universal Windows Web Installer)

Edited by nyfromdahood, 14 June 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Did you reboot after running the Comodo clean -up tool? I just read an entry at the Comodo forums by someone who ran the tool, restarted, ran the tool again, restarted again and then the installation worked. Most of the folks experiencing error 1603 have had the problem fixed with that Comodo tool.

I also found a "fix" where a registry entry had to be deleted. Are you comfortable with deleting a registry entry? It's pretty straightforward and their are a couple of good tutorials here at Bleep. If you want to try it I can help you with that too. The entry that needs removed is: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Comodo Internet Security (This came from a moderator at the Comodo forums.)

DON'T use an automated registry cleaner though. We don't recommend those here. They can bust your system down in a heartbeat.

#8 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Wow, I did not think to look at the Comodo forums hehe (I just panicked and came here)... but I did try restarting and running the tool two times in a row, and no change

Lets try removing the registry entry, if there is anything too complicated that needs to be done can you please post me a link to one of these tutorials or give me the steps to do it properly... I've looked over the forums and read the post that suggestion came from, if this does not work I will register at their forums and post my problem and keep you updated if I find it will help us solve my problem... I have a good feeling this'll work though

I feel we're close to the solution though, thanks for all your help so far :thumbsup:, and congrats on becoming a Junior in your Malware Study Hall

Edited by nyfromdahood, 14 June 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thanks, the "official" promotion came as I was answering your thread the other day. I was actually "trolling" around waiting for it to come through so I could learn some more stuff when I first saw your thread. It has been a very fun and very challenging experience. I have learned a TON and I have barely even begun. But on to your problem:

Demystifying the Registry by Grinler is an awesome tutorial on the registry. I keep refering back to it any time I have registry questions. It will show you how to get to where you need to get to and how to delete that value. A word of advise though. the section on backing up the registry is AFTER the section on editing the registry. Make sure you back up your registry before you edit it.

If this doesn't work and you have to go to the Comodo forums, please come back and tell me what they did to fix your problem. Although the malware training has significantly cut down my time to work on other areas of my computer knowledge, i am still trying to learn as much as I can. I know I'll never learn it all, but I can sure try ......... :thumbsup:

#10 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

hmmm, I think you meant to post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/ under the Demystifying the Registry link, but I found it anyways :D... I do not have the Backup Utility... I do have the System Restore feature however, is this generally the same thing or can be used instead if I create a restore point? And if not, should I just go ahead and delete the registry file anyway?

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I would just go ahead and do it. Make sure you only change the one entry for comodo.

LOL @myself for the bum link. I wonder what would have happened had someone clicked it and used it to post something. Would it still have been posted under my name?

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Fixed the Demystifying the Registry link.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

I've checked every section of my registry and there is no HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Comodo Internet Security section.... Looks like I'm gonna have to resort to the official forums... I'll be sure to keep you updated or give you a link to the topic if anything interesting is found =/

Edit: I simply made a reply to this post http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-con...-t53413.15.html , a guy who replied seems to be in the same boat I'm in

Edited by nyfromdahood, 15 June 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

Yep, that's the thread where I was getting my info from as you can see.

Did you try re-downloading the files? Good luck.

#15 nyfromdahood

nyfromdahood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

well it seems the moderators cannont come up with a solution that is absolute, so I found Comodo Firewall V3 and downloaded it, and I'm not going to try to get V4 until I see people have stopped complaining due to a new solution... thanks for all your help Deatstalker, and good luck with ur malware studies :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users