Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows not recognizing cd's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hi everyone, we have a Gateway laptop with AMD 64 processor running windows xp. My wife went to back up her quick books and burn the files onto cd as she periodically does, but the computer is suddenly not recognizing the cd.

The cd writing wizard comes up and when she clicks "write the files to cd" a window comes up that says "there is no disc in the drive, please insert a writable disc into the drive". She has tried using multiple discs, some from the same lot that she has been using successfully in the past and also some from a different manufacturer. Gets the same message.

You can insert a disc that she burned in the past and the computer will read it and show all the files no problem. If you take a cd that she has written files onto allready and try to write more files onto it by right clicking the file and choosing "send to", you get a window that says "windows does not support this cd-r format".

Everything worked just fine until a couple weeks ago, we haven't changed any settings. The only difference is we swapped from McAfee to Norton antivirus at about the same time that this problem started. Would Norton have anything to do with this? Any ideas for how to fix this problem?

Really appreciate any thoughts y'all have on this, Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=37055

Try using Nero (or other) burn software to do the burn, appears to me that you are trying the native XP burn function. Nero is a standard program used to burn CDs/DVDs but any other reliable burn program will probably take care of it.

Louis

#3 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Let me ask you another question... I don't mind downloading a good burn program if it works all the time, but, why would the xp burn function just quit working? Is it an unreliable program?

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

This one is very good and simple to use.

They ask for a Donation.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

IMO...the XP burn program is not held in high regard by most, since I believe that most users choose to use some type of burn program to create CDs/DVDs.

I've never used the XP function myself...I've been using Nero and Roxio's predecessor since I bought my first computer. I had no reason to use the XP function and Nero comes standard with just about any optical drive which has been purchased in the last 5-8 years (I think).

The XP burn function, as I understand it, is a low-grade Roxio program.

IMO, Roxio has declined in quality and usage since Nero (and others) came along.

Louis

#6 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Actually, Microsoft never addressed the issue of burning to DVD in xp. It is not possible without Nero or one of the other top softwares. I've looked around but haven't found a free one, yet. So I have the same problem, except that I have never been able to burn to DVD, only CD. See this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...november25.mspx

It seems to me that you might want to uninstall your Norton program and see if you are able to burn again. Sounds to me like there may be a conflict between your A/V and your burning software.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

From initial post: "My wife went to back up her quick books and burn the files onto cd as she periodically does, but the computer is suddenly not recognizing the cd."

Louis

#8 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:31 AM

Will try uninstalling Norton and see if I can burn anything. Strange though that we installed Norton on the desktop at the same time which is also running xp and have not had this problem. Will give it a try though and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users