Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm tired of McAfee not updating properly, and letting in a bunch of rootkits and viruses onto my computer. Can anybody suggest a good antivirus suitable for my computer

Intel ®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.20 GHz
2.19 GHZ, 1.25 GB of RAM
I've heard MSE is good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Everyone here will tell you that it is a matter pf personal preference
Personally I switched from AVG to AVAST because of other advisors and staff members recommendation.
I like it a lot but I had to disable the sounds because I thought they were anoying (no biggie there)

Also, if you uninstall McAfee be sure to follow that up by running the McAfee Removal Tool
Uninstalling it through add/remove programs is not sufficient to remove the program
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I run Avast! and it is a lot better than AVG, the sounds are fun if you install it on an unsuspecting users computer that you just worked on! :thumbsup: But other than that it is a really good free anti virus. :flowers:

Edited by computerxpds, 12 June 2010 - 04:40 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

Tthe sounds are fun if you install it on an unsuspecting users computer that you just worked on!

Computerxpds - I did exactly that when I was still trying the program out!
User immediately called me saying that the computer is talking to him telling him that the virus database has been updated!
What should I do? LOL!
Ever since then I have turned off the sounds!

Other than that I really like the program. Seems to be less overhead than AVG too
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Yeah I did that to a couple of people and also on one I had turned the volume up by accident. :flowers: :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

avast! is the best anti-virus in my opinion.

#7 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

Everyone here will tell you that it is a matter pf personal preference
Personally I switched from AVG to AVAST because of other advisors and staff members recommendation.
I like it a lot but I had to disable the sounds because I thought they were anoying (no biggie there)

Also, if you uninstall McAfee be sure to follow that up by running the McAfee Removal Tool
Uninstalling it through add/remove programs is not sufficient to remove the program

It says
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product. <--- There is no McAfee Security Center
Click Remove and follow the steps provided.

I ran the tool and it said no McAfee products were found

Also, in Add/Remove, it had a VirusScan Enterprise, but there was no remove button

Edited by BrainyTehBrain, 13 June 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#8 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

hi

I have tried AVAST, AVG, Avira, and I find AVG good for it is able to find out many virus other two can not.

hi

I have tried AVAST, AVG, Avira, and I find AVG good for it is able to find out many virus other two can not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users