Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootleg Windows 7 Enterprise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

As some of you may already know, I have been in the process of upgrading my PC.

I happened to stumble upon a guy on ebay who was just a few miles from me. I sent him an email regarding some memory he was selling. After a few email and phone conversations, he advised me that I would be much happier if I upgrade more than my memory. I took his advice and upgrade the memory and video card. There was a definate increase in performance, but still not up to par with what I was wanting.

He then quoted me a price (used parts, but that was fine with my meager budget) for a motherboard, processor, memory, video card, hard drive, and Windows 7. The quote was within my budget, so I entered into the nightmare. There was issue after issue, mostly with certain parts not functioning properly with others. I had the system back to him 3 or 4 times in as many days.

After bringing the system home yesterday afternoon, everything seemed to be functioning properly, with the exception of the USB ports on the front panel. I could not get them to work. I was thinking about adding a card reader, so I wasn't making a big issue about that.

After rebooting the PC at about 1:00 am this morning, a box pops up on the screen saying something about an activation, or Windows has expired, or something like that. At this point, I am beyond frustared with all these issues.

I call first thing this morning, only to have him tell me that I need to reset or change the time. I didn't even allow him to finish his sentance, because I was now pretty sure that he sold me a bogus version of Windows 7. Within minutes I was on his doorstep with my system in hand. He took out all the garbage he sold me, and reinstalled my original garbage. But before heading to his place, I decided to remove the HD and keep it.

Now I'm stuck with my original slow and old (but working, mnus the USB ports on the front panel) system and a HD with a bootleg version of Windows 7 Enterprise installed on it. I have zero intentions of using this HD while the the bootleg version is installed, but I am wondering who I should contact abot this.

This guy is a complete scumbag who costed me money, far more time than I'd like to admit, and has given me several more gray hairs that I didn't need. There must be a law against this kind of business practice, although he isn't a legitimate business. I know he buys and sells several thousands of dollars worth of computer parts via ebay each month, but I'm sure he doesn't pay taxes or have a business license.

Should I contact someone about this, or just chalk it up an a hard lesson learned?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gL0balheLL_Lives

gL0balheLL_Lives

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm sorry but I suggest you accpet a lesson. Blowing the whistle on this man could mean danger for you and your family (maybe). You should just let it go and learn that eBay can suck hard. I had to learn this lesson to. However their could be a possibilty trhat the screen you saw was a possible virus. Could you tell what exactly was on the screen.

#3 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

He admitted it was a bootleg copy. He claimed all I had to do was change or reset (can't remember which one) the time and it would be good to go.

I can't remember exactly, but the screen gave a few options (2 or 3), one was to enter the serial number or some kinda code or something.

Edited by TripleDigitRide, 12 June 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

I would report him to eBay.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I would report him to eBay.

I second this advice.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

I didn't buy it from ebay. I was searching ebay for memory. He had what I thought I needed, but wasn't sure, so I sent him a question about it. After that, our dealings were done outside of ebay. I didn't buy his ebay items. Not sure ebay would care since they had almost nothing to do with our transactions.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

I didn't buy it from ebay. I was searching ebay for memory. He had what I thought I needed, but wasn't sure, so I sent him a question about it. After that, our dealings were done outside of ebay. I didn't buy his ebay items. Not sure ebay would care since they had almost nothing to do with our transactions.

You met him on eBay so yes you can report them.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

That is why eBay warns against Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay. It's dangerous because you're not protected by eBay's strong Buyer Protection policies.

It seems like you've been had...

You might still be able to report him, like Dan said.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 TripleDigitRide

TripleDigitRide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

That is why eBay warns against Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay. It's dangerous because you're not protected by eBay's strong Buyer Protection policies.

It seems like you've been had...

You might still be able to report him, like Dan said.

Yeah, I now know about that. But it would have been difficult for him to build me a system via ebay.

It's just frustrating to be treated like that, and to know he's going to continue to do the same thing to others is equally frustrating.

Either way, it's a lesson learned.

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

At the very least, theres the negative feedback on ebay if you had bought anything from him (even a small item) that you can leave, but you can still report him to ebay, since you purchased the items off of ebay they may not be able to actually do anything, but Id be surprised if they didnt have a list of people to watch, and this would put this seller on that list, so if he does screw up, bam, hes busted. Following Joe Cs advice would also be a good option.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users