Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SERIOUS no sound problem?!?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikusj

mikusj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:49 AM

OK i am back to square one, i have just succesfully installed a new sound card and i am still having the same problems i did with the old one. No Application will play sound i keep getting errors such as;

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly." From windows mdeia player.

"Bad directsound Driver. Please install Proper drivers or slect another device in configuration. Error code:88780078." From winamp

No Flash, or media will play from the internet either.

I have been up and down trying to slove this problem. The soundcard is a Aopen Cobra AW-840, but i am fairly sure it is not an issue. Running windows 2000.

Ok what i have done: I have disabled the onboard sound through the bios setup, this did not help. I have installed and reinstalled the soundcard drivers many times, this did not help. Another issue to add to my confusion is that winamp will give me the above mentioned error message, but i can rectify this by going into winamps options menu and change the direct sound output device from primary sound drive to my sound card. The no sound issue in winamp is fixed and operation of winamp is fine. This does not affect any other issue and sounds else where still do not work. Windows media player has a similar menu but when changed, has no effect.

I have followed all the windows troubleshooting ideas to fix such a problem but they have not helped. The device manager shows no conflicts in and everything looks to be working fine.

When looking in the sound and Multimedia options in control panel i find what look to be related problems. the sound playback, sound recording and midi sections under the audio tab are greyed out and say that no playback,recording or midi devices are available.

In the hardware tab under sound and multimedia options the devices read as such:
CyberDrv CD-R/ RW
Standard game port
CMI8738/c3DX PCI Audio Device
Audio Codecs
legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Device
Legacy Video Capture Devices
video codecs

This is all the information i could think of that would be relavant at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this problem has been bugging me for a VERY long time, and i beleive i have tired every way i know to fix the problem.... i need some HELP!!!!!

JOSH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Well the only thing i can see is have tried here

http://usa.aopen.com/company/contact/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users