Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Flash Type?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hellojo

hellojo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hey, my name is Jill and and friend of mine pretty recently built me my own computer. It was stable when I brought it home and set it up, and it worked fine for a few days after that. However, one day I realized that my motherboard wasn't running my processor at full speed, so I went into the BIOS and changed the CPU clock to 165. The motherboard (it's rather old) I guess couldn't handle the processor at that speed and wouldn't start up, so I went back into the BIOS and changed the CPU clock to 150. The computer booted up fine after that, and after about an hour I shut it down and left for a while. When I came back and turned the computer on, I got this black screen on start up with white text, and at the end of it it says "Unknown Flash Type" with a blinking white underscore underneath it. I can't get passed this screen.

I've provided a picture of what this screen looks like here and here.

I cannot boot into anything else besides the BIOS, so something like a system restore I can't do. The only thing I've tried is resetting the BIOS, which didn't make any difference. Unfortunately I'm not as gifted with computers as my friend, so I don't entirely remember all the specs for it, since it's made with different things. I do know that it's running Windows 7 32-bit, an AMD Anthlon processor (don't remember the number), and a KM400-M2 ECS Elitegroup motherboard.

I'm not sure about what I can do to fix this, so any kind of help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: If anyone needs any other kind of information, I will do my best to get it for you. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum!

Did you recently try to flash the BIOS? Sounds like a flash failed.

For now what I would try is to unplug the system, open the case and remove the battery. Its a little silver battery about the size of a nickel typically labeled CR2032. Let it sit overnight. Then reinsert the battery and see what happens
You will have to reset the date & dime as I am having you try to drain the system

Be patient too. The staff here are all volunteers and assist as we have time
Others will post their input when they are online
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hellojo

hellojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks a ton for your reply, and I'll try what you suggested. :thumbsup: If anything new changes I'll post it here.

I was thinking about updating the BIOS at the time, but I never actually went through with it because I didn't want to mess anything up. I guess that plan didn't work. D:

I appreciate anyone's input and welcome it wholeheartedly! It's great to get some help when I can't find the solution myself.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Keep us posted!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

This doesn't seem to be a typical CMOS battery issue...but I would simply replace the CMOS battery...before I did anything else.

When the battery runs down, the CMOS settings all can behave strangely.

Too many seem to think that the only symptom of a failing CMOS battery...is a change of date/time on the CMOS clock.

Worst case...you spent $4 on something that it won't hurt to replace on your system.

Louis

#6 hellojo

hellojo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Alright I reinstalled the CMOS battery, and when I booted up the computer it said "CMOS checksum error defaults loaded". At the bottom it said press F1 to continue, so I pressed F1, and I ended up right back at the "Unknown Flash Type" screen.

Does this mean I need to replace the CMOS battery? I'm pretty sure I installed the battery correctly, it's facing the same way I took it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users