Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post from 6/10/10 on BackDoor.Ircbot.LWM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 chicagoexpat

chicagoexpat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

I posted at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323349/trojan-horse-backdoorircbotlwm-or-worsemore/
on Thurs., 6/10, as per the instructions of one of the moderators

There's been no response

Is this because no one is able to help me, no one's available, or or that I've been passed over for some reason?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

Good evening. smile.gif

While we understand your frustration at having to wait, please note that Bleeping Computer deals with several hundred requests for assistance such as yours on a daily basis. As a result, our backlog is quite large, as are other comparable sites that help members with malware issues. Athough our Malware Response Team work on hundreds of requests each day, they are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits. No one is paid by Bleeping Computer for their assistance to our members.

New and more devious malware infections are released almost daily. It then takes time for our Team to to investigate, analyze and test removal techniques before we can help members like yourself. Doing that means that we sacrifice speed of response for a quality response that will help remove the malware more effectively.

Further, our malware removal staff is comprised of team members with various levels of skill and expertise to deal with thousands of malware variants, some more complex than others. Although we try to take DDS/Malware Removal requests in order (starting with the oldest), it is often the skill level of the particular helper and sometimes the operating system that dictates which logs get selected first. Some infections are more complicated than others and require a higher skill level to remove. Without that skill level attempted removal could result in disastrous results. In other instances, the helper may not be familiar with the operating system that you are using, since they use another. In either case, you wouldn't want someone to assist you who is not familiar with your issue and attempt to fix it, would you?

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding.
The BC Staff

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#3 chicagoexpat

chicagoexpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Thanks

I realize it is volunteer, and I appreciate any help y'all can give me, & that you get a lot of requests from people

But if I'm not getting a response because no volunteer wants to get into this mess, I'd like to know. I'm about 1 step away from trying to reformat my harddrive on my own & try & use the operating disks to restore a computer.

Which means I'll probably ruin it & need to go out & buy a new computer

#4 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Good evening. smile.gif

Having looked at your log i'm not very happy with the "backdoor" issue. This means that somebody in a remote location may have had access to your PC as if they were sat in front of it, and this poses a number of problems.
There is no way of knowing how many malicious files may have been dropped on your hard drive, legitimate files patched or replaced, and if security settings have been lowered to make your PC easier to infect in the future.
This makes the most sensible course of action backing up any important files and then reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
It could be that while your AV didn't keep the primary part of this infection off of your PC it is blocking anything else from occurring, but the risk isn't one that I would be happy taking.

There is some good news in that a Factory Restore of your system may be possible. While Dell does supply recovery discs, these are a backup to an easier alternative which I have used in the past with a Dell laptop that I owned. You can find it documented in the User Manual available here in .pdf format.
The bottom of Page 41 "Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec" will walk you through the steps in running this utility which will restore your PC back to the time that it was first turned on when brand new - please note that you will need to then pay a visit to Windows Updates to reinstall whatever was released after this time.

I suggest that you download the installation files for both an anti-virus and firewall BEFORE you run the restore utility as you want to install both before you go back online. You will obviously need to check for updates once you have your system back up and running to keep your PC as safe as possible. Should you need them I can provide links to free software fro both tasks.

If you have any questions please ask - i'll answer if I can.

#5 chicagoexpat

chicagoexpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

Thank you, I did do the Factory Restore option. I wish I'd done it a week ago.

#6 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

As this issue appears to have been resolved this thread is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users