Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P4 3.0 Ghz Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluepoet06

bluepoet06

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

I own a pentium 4 processor 3.0ghz with l2cache which is working with gigabyte865. The hard disk have now gone kaput and so now i wish to even replace the mother board so that i will be able to use sata instead of ID.
ID 160gb comes for rs2400/- whereas sata 320gb is for rs 2400/-.
I am aware i will have to even replace my pc's ram .
MY concern is whether pentium 4 processor 3.0ghz 631 will work on which available motherboards ?
I guess P4 631
have 2mb l2cache, 775circuit/switch. but m nt sure.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

There are a few, though with that old of technology, youd be better off just buying a whole new processor as well in my opinion. However, this Board will work with that processor, SATA hard drives, and DDR2 memory.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 bluepoet06

bluepoet06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

Thing is i simply want to spend in steps.
Motherboard, hard disk and some RAM in one step
and then some more ram and new processor.
coz new processors quadcores, corei3/5/7 costs big !!

So i simply want to spend on some good motherboards bascically.

The board i am currently using is gigabyte 865 which will not be compatible with sata and newer processors, is what i think.
Please correct me if am i wrong.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Thing is i simply want to spend in steps.

The problem is that due to tech/hardware changes, you cannot always do that. It would be great if you could upgrade a bit here, and a bit there, but eventually you get to the point where you are throwing money into a system made entirely of obsolete components.

Socket 775 is essentially a dead end. DDR2 is a dead end. Look at CPU prices for Socket 1156 CPUs vs the price for Socket 775 CPUs, they are pretty close and socket 775 prices aren't going to drop anytime soon.

If you are set on getting a SATA drive, and want to run it on your present system, grab a SATA controller card, and a hard drive. Run the new hard drive from the controller card so you are only out ~$20 or so on something you won't use again.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....o%20SATA%20Card

Or as a last resort get an adapter to use a SATA drive with your IDE port:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-257-_-Product
Problem with tha last item is your motherboard BIOS might not like large capacity drives.

Save you money and make a major upgrade to an i5/6/7 1156 platform, or an AMD setup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users