Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell upgrade from home to ultimate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Here's my problem. I got a Dell inspiron 580 it came with windows 7 home and I upgraded to ultimate after I got it. This was February. For at least a few months when I put it to sleep it'll blue screen in it's sleep and crash and when I turn it on it'll say check for solutions which always turn up nothing. Recently it finally came back with the solution "ACPI IRQ Holder isn't compatible with this version of Windows." I contacted Dell and they say my system may not support the upgrade and they said to revert to factory and try a compatibility check to see if my hardware will support ultimate. Does anyone have any advice other than wiping my machine or downgrading to home? Dell basically told me to pound sand it's not their fault my machine gets Freddy kruegered in it's sleep every night.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Have you tried updating the BIOS if there is one?

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Sounds like you need to update your drivers (and possibly BIOS, as Dan mentioned). Almost all sleep/BSOD problems are directly related to faulty/out-of-date drivers.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

i've tried updating my drivers and bios. my bios did need an update but that still didn't solve anything. i checked in the bios and my power setting acpi setting is S3. i tried changing to S1 to see if it would make a difference but it didn't. i hit sleep and the screen dims to off and i can hear my machine is still on but it is then unresponsive to keyboard strikes or mouse clicks. it just stays running with no output to screen. almost like its off but it won't wake up and it didn't wind down to quieter sleep mode.
dell says it's cause my machine may not be compatible with windows 7 ultimate. which to me sounds like they don't know what it is so they throw it onto something i did after i bought the machine. thanks for the suggestions on the bios. anyone else think dell is passing the buck or have any ideas what i can do? i guess it not sleeping isn't the end of the world. it just seems like if it dies in it's sleep i wonder if there's more issues i don't know or i'm somehow doing damage to it. who knows. weird situation

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Can you please post the service tag number of your dell it should be on the back of the machine or near the product ID.

#6 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

5R1MNL1

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Did you upgrade to a 64bit version of the OS?

All I see is Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64bit Drivers listed for your computer.

#8 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

Yeah right now I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users