Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD and DVD drives not recognized in Windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlingDogg

BlingDogg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

I recently re-installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro because of a patched user32 virus that caused me problems (it seems to be gone now since the re-install).

But now since I re-installed Windows XP, my dvd and cd drives don't show up in Windows. In BIOS they are recognized as ch.0 master and ch.0 slave drives. But in Windows they're not there in My Computer or Device Manager. I pop in a disc and it spins around but nothing happens.

Does anyone know what's wrong? I know it's not jumper cable problems because they worked fine before the re-install.

I don't have Service Pack 2 yet because I wanted to wait until I could back up my files on DVD before I upgraded, but since I can't burn or use my drives I don't want to take the risk yet.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Download the following: Speccy

Go to File then Publish Snap Shot and provide us the link.

It will show us your system specs.

#3 BlingDogg

BlingDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. Here it is:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbM0tFXjomIspCWJ1oOh2vZ

For some reason nothing seemed to show up. When I loaded speccy, I get this warning message: "the procedure entry point WZCGetSPResModule could not be located in the dynamic link library WZCSAPI.DLL"

Any idea what that could mean? I don't have Windows XP service pack 2 installed yet, could that be it?

Edited by BlingDogg, 12 June 2010 - 12:44 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

What kind of computer is this? I couldn't get any information from that. It seems to me you are missing a lot of drivers.

#5 BlingDogg

BlingDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

What kind of computer is this? I couldn't get any information from that. It seems to me you are missing a lot of drivers.

Hi, I edited my message, please check for what I posted.

My computer was built a few years ago, and I don't know all of the specs. When I right-click my computer and go to properties, for some reason nothing shows besides the amount of RAM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Lets work on that issue later, what kind of computer are you running?

#7 BlingDogg

BlingDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

I'm unable to get any specific details on the computer, but I know it's an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor. VIA Abit Motherboard. 1Gb of RAM. Windows XP Professional version 2002. Western Digital 150GB SATA hard drive.

I don't know more than that, sorry.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Are you comfortable open your case?

If so then can you check for the motherboard model number that is listed between the AGP slot and the first PCI Slot. It will be is big white letters.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

Try Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter...for system info.

Louis

#10 BlingDogg

BlingDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Are you comfortable open your case?

If so then can you check for the motherboard model number that is listed between the AGP slot and the first PCI Slot. It will be is big white letters.

I opened it up and I think I got it. The large white writing I saw said ABIT-AX8. Could that be it?

Try Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter...for system info.

Louis

I just tried that and it says "Can't collect information. Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation Software." This is really strange, because I had no problem getting this kind of system information before this re-install. Do you think I should try to do another repair re-install? Maybe the last one didn't install properly.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

You did a clean install?

What is the media used for this install?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#12 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

Who is the manufacturer of your computer? Could it be that you need to download and install the drivers for the equipment on your PC? Sorry if this is stupid, but every time I've ever had anyone reinstall Windows or have done it myself I had to install the manufacturers drivers and then the drivers for the equipment. To get them you go to the manufacturers website and go to the downloads section and to drivers, then search for you model of computer. I recommend DriverMax to get any other drivers you may need as it's free, and you can select signed ones after the scan, but if your PC can't detect your devices then I don't think DriverMax will, either. I like it though.

Did the formatting and installation go smoothly? Maybe you should try again. Just guessing here, but it seems like maybe some of the stock xp files didn't copy since Windows isn't reading your equipment...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users