Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Firewall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bluabnshee

Bluabnshee

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best free and paid firewall out there for gaming?

I have not run a firewall in the past on my gaming unit because I don't use it to surf the web or e-mails but recently my WOW account was taken over. They say its because of a key-logger but I think its internal at Blizzard. I want to be on the safe side and go ahead with a firewall. I use comodo on my other computers but Im afraid this one will be problematic on my gaming unit. Any out there that get the job done and done become problematic with online gaming?

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

If you are using Windows XP, its built-in firewall is enough.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 - its built in firewall is more than enough.

But if you still insist -
In my opinion the best free firewall that I've tried is - Outpost Firewall FREE
Its light on system resources and still a pretty good firewall.

Also, there's no need to go for a paid firewall. Since this free version is really good and even better than some paid firewalls. So why pay ?

Also, get a free antivirus solution installed. Like Avast's - avast! FREE Antivirus
To avoid any further problems with security.

Also, update windows regularly.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 12 June 2010 - 11:19 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Windows firewall sucks, Im sorry, even xps. Even an amateur hacker can get through it. Personally, I like and use Comodos firewall. Comodo anti virus isnt all that fantastic, but I love their firewall, its very secure, and doesnt interfere with my gaming at all.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

Windows firewall sucks, Im sorry, even xps. Even an amateur hacker can get through it. Personally, I like and use Comodos firewall. Comodo anti virus isnt all that fantastic, but I love their firewall, its very secure, and doesnt interfere with my gaming at all.

Yeah, it sucks but only if you give your IP address to someone. As long as you do not give your IP Address to anyone. Windows Firewall stays totally in stealth mode, so its just enough for casual home users who are not asking others to hack their computer. :thumbsup:
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, it sucks but only if you give your IP address to someone. As long as you do not give your IP Address to anyone. Windows Firewall stays totally in stealth mode, so its just enough for casual home users who are not asking others to hack their computer. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind as well that if you have a router in your home the router also acts as a powerful hardware firewall for stopping most attacks before they even reach your computer. That combined with the windows firewall should be enough. :flowers:
A Royale With Cheese

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, thats what I totally meant to say. :thumbsup:
SYSTEM SPECS.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

Every time you get online, your IP address is given out. Cant access the net without it. Heck, You wouldnt be able to get on BC without your computer sending out your ip address. Unless your going through a proxy, in which case your still giving your ip to a proxy server online. Weak argument for xp firewall. Leave any firewall in stealth mode-means basically its not allowing any outside connection, therefore your not giving out your ip. Any time you get online, you are opening yourself up to a risk of being hacked, regardless of what kind of firewall you have, But some do better then others. I would put windows firewall down at the bottom of the list. Comodo, as far as windows based firewalls, is much higher on the list, and if you want real security, route all your computers through a linux computer and use a good linux firewall.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 byronlewis

byronlewis

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

I am not playing games online from a long time but when I used to play I had sygate firewall pro. I have also tried zonealarm pro but it was creating problems sometimes. Compare to that, Sygate was great.

#9 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

Every time you get online, your IP address is given out. Cant access the net without it. Heck, You wouldnt be able to get on BC without your computer sending out your ip address. Unless your going through a proxy, in which case your still giving your ip to a proxy server online. Weak argument for xp firewall. Leave any firewall in stealth mode-means basically its not allowing any outside connection, therefore your not giving out your ip. Any time you get online, you are opening yourself up to a risk of being hacked, regardless of what kind of firewall you have, But some do better then others. I would put windows firewall down at the bottom of the list. Comodo, as far as windows based firewalls, is much higher on the list, and if you want real security, route all your computers through a linux computer and use a good linux firewall.

I agree with the patriot09. Windows Firewall & Windows Defender REEEEEALLY suck.
I used to use both, but my computer started acting up. So, i downloaded avast. Scaned my computer. 23,519 VIRUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then i got Spybot, Avast, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes. NOT A VIRUS SINCE.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

#10 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

I agree 100% with Patriot here. This whole Windows firewall is sufficient "BS" is ridiculous unless you have a properly configured router (with hardware firewall capabilities). Even people that have routers do not have it configured properly to offer the best protection. People (unfortunately) when it comes to Internet Security are just not knowledgeable on the subject.

Another way to look at this, why do you think Windows OS are the most hacked operating systems? Less secure? Maybe?

Even more likely, or a combination of the two would be that Windows is by far the most used OS. When hackers are trying to infect computers, what would be more logical? Focus on the vulnerabilities of the by far most popular operating systems? Or try to focus on vulnerablities in operating systems that are at best going to be able to infect 1/3 of the users?

Windows firewall is the same. Most likely it is the most used firewall, therefore it gets the most attention. That's leaving it's obvious inferior protection completely out of the discussion. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents!!

bwest0703
Posted Image

#11 srutherford024

srutherford024

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I concur with both of the last two posters, Windows firewall is not enough. As far as paid firewalls, I have used both McAfee and Norton with no gaming issues, and I don't really consider them paid, since my ISP offered them to me for free with my service. They can be a bit resource demanding, but the newest versions of both detect when most games start up, and throttle themselves accordingly. For freeware I have heard that Zone Alarm is good, but I have no personal experience with it. Just dont forget to implement a few different anti-spyware/Adware/Malware protection programs in addition to your firewall and anti-virus programs. I use SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware. As mentioned above, having your computer behind a router with a hardware firewall (NAT & SPI) will help. One last thing - If you havent already done so, order yourself a Blizzard Authenticator. Its $7 if you live in the US, and it will pretty much insure that your WOW account never gets hacked again.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to use & how it works out for you. :thumbsup:

#12 Madreefer

Madreefer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

It seems this post has kind of gotten off topic. You can argue all day about windows firewall being secure enough, and truthfully there is no correct answer. Of course there are people out there that can gain access to your machine no matter how strong your protocols are. The problem isnt with the firewall, its with the people using the computer. Do you think hackers sit around and try to target individual machines. NO! People go out and spend their 65 bucks a year for a box that says Norton on it and feel safe, so they dont think before they click on links that are obviously malicious. So the truth is, there is no such thing as a truly secure firewall. If its connected to the internet, someone will find a way in. I do have to agree with the smartest post above and say your best bet is to run your network through a linux hardware setup, but mostly think before you open links your not sure about and quit watching erotic videos and wandering why your computer is constantly infected.f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users