Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speaker Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mallen

Mallen

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:28 AM

Ok, so i have a set of Dell 5650 5.1 surround sound speakers w/subwoofer. And for some reason, after a while of using them, the middle speaker mounted on my monitor is making some weird tapping or popping sound. There are about 6 ever time i do something on the computer, for about 4 seconds. The sound of the popping noise is not connected to the volume either. Solong as the speaker is on, the noise can still be heard. I called Dell about this and after a very long call (The technician was spanish and spoke broken English), they determined that my speakers were faulty and sent me new ones. Guess what, its been about 3 weeks and suddenly my NEW speakers are doign the same darn thing. I don't know what is causing it.

SYSTEM SPECS.

Creative 24 bit Sound Blaster
Radeon X300
P4 630
1 gig of memory
XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mallen

Mallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

no one huh?

#3 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:09 PM

Sometimes when you click on a link or icon, the computer will make a 'click' noise (4-5 times really fast). You might be able to go into the control panel, click on sounds/speech/audio icon, and then sound scheme from the list. This should bring up a window that shows what sounds go with a certain action. Scroll through it and find which one is linked with the click, them use the scroll menu of sounds and set it to 'none'.

#4 Mallen

Mallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

no, its not that, thanks though. Its not a sound the PC is suposed to make. Besides, those sounds are conected to the volume of the speaker, where as the tapping isn't. Also if that was it, it would be coming from all speaker, not just the center speaker.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:25 AM

I was hoping that someone would come up with some kind of answer for this because I've also experienced something similar, a tapping sound almost like morse code. It happens at random times, sometimes I won't have it happen for months, and when I does it only last for a couple of hours. I've read other threads where it has been suggested that this could be the results of a cell phone ringing close by, electrical interference, or bleed through from someones ham radio, these things do happen, but that's a different sound.

If you ever figure it out, or find an answer, let us know please.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Mallen

Mallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:50 AM

well im glad im not the only one. Its happening right now as I type this. But its just dog annoying. However, its not really morse code for me, just steady tapping noise about 5 taps then stops, unless I give the PC input.

I tried recording it on my old speakers and noticed that once i heard the noise, i would hit record and after a few seconds it would stop. But then when I hit stop, it would start again. After a few min of trial and error, i found out that if i hit record and let it go, it would stop after about 5 seconds and wouldn't restart. But if i hit the stop button, it would start up again in about a second or 2, then run it's course, rinse and repeat.

also, does anyone know why they make an obnoxious hissing sound when i get a call on my NEXTEL when im by them. (regular calls, not walkie-talkie)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:24 AM

Don't worry about the phone buz, that's normal. You can puchase an inexspensive line filter which plugs into the wall receptacle, and then your computer plugs into it, that might solve some of your issues. Try Radio Shaft, er ah...Shack.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

Try rearranging the wires behind the system (while the noise is going on) - does a particular jiggle start/stop it?

I've also heard of problems with telephones (wireless type) that would cause this sort of thing.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

Besides, those sounds are conected to the volume of the speaker, where as the tapping isn't.

I wonder if you have an outside power issue. Do you ever notice comparable visual "pops" on your TV? Plug a boombox or something into the same receptacle that your speakers are currently plugged into. See if the noise transfers over.

Just a thought.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users