Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

False Might and Magic game icon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

I have not installed any game in Windows 7, yet when I turned on Windows 7 PC I found a "Steam Might and Magic - Single Player version" icon in my Start Menu. I opened Games Explorer and here is what I saw :

Posted Image

I thought, "Boy, I got hit by malware today." I thought it was a malware trying to mimic like a valid game so I can go curious, double click on it and try to run it.

I cannot see Properties of this shortcut. So I created a shortcut to this shortcut on Desktop. Still no luck in Properties. Opened command prompt and looked at the contents of the .lnk file. Duh! Microsoft Windows 7 is stupid. It was thinking my recently installed Samsung PC Studio program (MM.exe) was a game by Ubisoft and added its icon to Games folder and Start Menu.

Posted Image

Thanks Microsoft! Next time when you code, try checking the hash of game executables and their company name.

EDIT: You can reproduce this behavior on your Windows 7 computers too. Take an exe file (should be valid exe) and rename it to mm.exe. Then copy it to any subfolder in C:\Program Files, for example, copy it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games. Double click the mm.exe to run it. Watch Windows 7 access the internet and bingo!

If you copy the mm.exe file in 2 (or more) different locations, then Windows 7 creates 2 (or more) shortcuts of Might and Magic in the Games folder. How stupid is that?

Edited by Romeo29, 12 June 2010 - 08:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Well, that's just wonky... :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image