Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP keeps restarting repeatedly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 mos3591

mos3591

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

So I was trying to remove a tool kit from my PC.. I used malwarebytes,spybot,hitman pro, and various AV with no success.. So someone suggested using combofix.. I ran the program, and it asked me if I wanted to install windows recovery console. I did the PC rebooted ok, then combofix proceeded to scan. It found the toolkits and then asked me to restart..

Now every time I restart it reboots constantly after Windows XP loading.. I tried running recovery console but I gets these errors.

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x823707B8, 0x0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Also the fans on the PC aren't making any sound, I just get beeps whenever I press something on the keyboard.. Anyone got any idea about what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Your hard drive might have failed and/or is in the process of failing. I would stop using it, and replace it with a new one.

The Stop 0xED error message pertains to the following: When you restart your computer or upgrade to Windows XP, you receive the "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message

Edited by cryptodan, 12 June 2010 - 09:02 AM.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello mos3591,

Most likely the rootkit was not completely removed. With a bit of luck we should be able to fix that. I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum.

Please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)
  • When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

If you are the original topic starter and you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM.

Everyone else, please start a new topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users