Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent sound problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Avosyl

Avosyl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

I have been having a problem with my desktop speakers (right hand one not working) so bought a new set. Same problem so i came on here to see if i could find a solution. One person had been told to try plugging in earphones to the speaker socket. Tried that and now the only sounds i am hearing are not through the speakers but the processor itself. I am running Windows XP home edition Version 2002 service pack 3 and am not sure what other info you might want. The sound is soundMAX integrated digital. As far as i can tell on device manager everything is in working order so not sure if its something i have done or not done that has caused the problem. Whether its the comp sounds or CD or media player makes no difference all of the sounds come from the processor. Would be very gratefull for any advice. Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

the headphone test was to see if you had left and right sound in your headphones (as long as they are stereo headphones).
do speakers work if they are connected to another computer or device(like mp3 player) ?

if so, connection on computer could be dirty, blow out with compressed air.
dust inside computer could be messing up signal. read up on how to clean inside your computer and try that.

if audio connection is bad at motherboard there is not much you can do with that other than adding a PCI sound card.

Edited by caperdog, 12 June 2010 - 08:49 AM.

#3 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Yes both speakers work when i attach to an mp3 player and yes they are stereo. The sound was working on left speaker only then suddenly didnt work on the spealers at all and now all sound is coming through the processor and nothing at all through the speakers. I only cleaned out the inside of the comp three days ago but the problem with the speakers has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now which is why i thought i needed new ones. It is only in the last few hours that the bigger problem has occurred. I may have altered some settings on the sound settings when trying to fix it but am not sure how to reset them all. Will gtry cleaning the connection on the computer and see what happens. I have also tried restoring to an earlier time and that didnt work either. Thanks for your help will let you know what happens once i have tried cleaning the connections.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

when you say "all sound is coming through the processor" what does that mean and how do you know ?

#5 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

The sound is coming from the computer processor the big box with hardrive etc in it (never sure what to call it). The sound was weird so switched off the speakers but the sound was still coming from somewhere and traced it to the comp processor. I had that happen once before on an old comp and cannot for the life of me remember how i fixed it.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

oh, so the sound is not music, correct ?
processor is the CPU inside computer box attached to motherboard. noises inside the computer box could be from fans not working properly or hard drive.

only way to find out is to open box, restart and listen for where noise is actually coming from. do not touch electrical components or stick your finger in a fan to stop it. if you suspect a fan, turn off your machine, unplug fan and restart. is noise gone?

also some machines will not start if CPU fan is not plugged in.

check connections while you have the box open as you may have loosened something when you were cleaning the last time.

#7 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Yes the sound is music. At first the sounds were those made when i was clicking of various things as you would normally hear through the speakers so i turned the speakers off then i tried it with music on the media player and all sounds are playing through the computer box. All fans are working fine and everything seems attached ok nothing loose that i can see. Its like there is a speaker inside the comp box and thats where all my sound is going and being played through.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

there is a speaker in the box so all sound has somehow been routed to there. go to start --> control panel --> sounds,speech,and audio devices --> sounds and audio devices --> audio tab ,,, for playback can you set your default playback device to the soundMAX ?

#9 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:04 PM

Have checked everything and soundMAX is set as the default playback device as is the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. The property settings are as follows
Recording shows CD AUX Line in and Wave out mix as being ticked and microphone unticked. The playback properties are all ticked apart from the microphone. In
the hardware section the General is use audio and do not map through this device are both ticked. The WDM based device is ticked use adn the soundMAX mixer is ticked. Dont know if any of that helps. Have checked all that and device manager and restarted comp. The sound is still through the comp box and none through the speakers.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

do not map through this device is not checked on my machine. try unchecking and see what happens

what is make/model of computer ?
i have seen a lenovo that would play through internal speaker if external speakers were not connected. i am thinking it is a connection issue in the line out receptical (where you plug in speakers). this is integrated right ? not a PCI sound card.

try plugging in speakers and while music is playing wiggle the cord in the receptical to see if you can make the connection to allow the sound to come out of the external speakers.

not very scientific but it is all i can think of.

lastly you could uninstall the sound device from device manager, reboot and windows will detect it and install it and the drivers again

Edited by caperdog, 12 June 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#11 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Right its a second hand comp caseing is HP Compaq and its running a Fujitsu Siemnes installation disc Microsoft XP home edition version 2002 service pack 3
Intel ® Pentium ® 4CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz 504 mb Ram.
Tried wiggling the cord but no luck still coming from comp and not speakers and it may not be scientific but its worked on other things lol.
If i uninstall the device what exactly do i uninstal and where do i do it? Also do i need to use the recovery disc in the drive or what when i restart? Thanks

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

Some computers have audio jacks on the front
If yours does try the speakers in them

You have eliminated the speakers as being the issue
Im thinking its not making a good connection which is why caperdog suggested wiggling the connector
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

right click My Computer --> properties --> hardware tab --> device manager button --> find soundMAX under Sound,video and game controllers --> right click soundMAX --> uninstall

you do not need your disk as drivers are already in your windows folder. reboot . on start up windows will detect the sound device and search for and install drivers. if something was screwy with the install it should now be repaired.

#14 Avosyl

Avosyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Thank you will give that a go in the morning. In the meantime Eyesee has given me a temp solution and i have connected the speakers to the front headphone jack. I really appreciate all the trouble you have taken to help me today and i will let you know tom if deleting and re installing the driver works. Meantime thanks again and i will say goodnight for now. Thanks

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

if you are getting sound from the front audio jack then uninstalling device is a waste of time. there must be a bad connection at the back and probably not worth the money or effort to fix it. just continue to run them from the front and carry on.

thanks Eyesee

Edited by caperdog, 12 June 2010 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users