Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:46 AM
In either IE8 or Mozilla Firefox...when I go to try and get an update, I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message, on either browser. I have a feeling I may have a bug, but Avast, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster, nor Spybot S&D have turned up anything. I ran a malicious bug finder from MS, but nothing turned up. So, what nice little creature is keeping me from getting a needed XP windows update? (rootkit?) I've seen this before, a long time ago, and I think I gave up and simply reinstalled XP.
As of late, I have installed superanti spyware program and it found some adware tracker files, and then I quarintined them, but it still does not allow for microsoft update. If I go anywhere near microsoft update, I get the above message. I have tried to post "hyjack this logs" and I can not, because withing the logs, there is a url connected with microsoft update. If I reword the url line, I am then able to post. I was at the techsupport forum and help was attempted, slightly, but it was awhile ago and I doubt I'm going to be helped. At that time, I was advised to run the combo fix program, and I followed their instructions step by step, with no help. So I'm here, to start from scratch. Thx for lending a hand. DM