Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe drives me mad again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Got pissed off again.
I went here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to install the latest Adobe Flash
Right form the start, it wants you to get Free McAfeeŽ Security Scan Plus:

Posted Image
Surely, I un-check that "option" and I click on "Agree and install" button.
On a very next screen, it tries to install "something", without even saying what.

Posted Image

If you carelessly click on "Allow" button, you'll find out what "something" is:

Posted Image

I'm not sure, if right off the bat everyone knows, what "Adobe DLM" is, so I assume, many people will click "Install now".
I didn't, but if you click on "Cancel", you're done.
Nothing will install, or download.

This is how Adobe really care about your computer security.
On one hand, you should keep Flash up to date, since it often has security holes, but Adobe forces unsuspected people to get all kind of garbage along.

Finally, I found a link for download only. Here: http://fpdownload.ad...h_player_ax.exe

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 June 2010 - 05:06 PM.
Move to All other Apps. ~ OB

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

You can always download all Adobe plugins Flash, Director, Air from Filehippo.com

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Saying this from memory but, Adobe DLM is "Adobe DownLoad Manager", its a one time plugin to install Adobe programs(such as flash player). Its perfectly safe, and can be removed quite easily. They've been using Adobe DLM since about mid-CS3 era (I believe the reason is to help prevent download accelerators from being used on their servers).

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

Looks like this may be an Adobe/Mozilla conspiracy. Didn't run into it with IE8

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

You can always download all Adobe plugins Flash, Director, Air from Filehippo.com

Good call :thumbsup:

Its perfectly safe, and can be removed quite easily

I do NOT want to install it and that was my initial point. I don't want to install anything, what I don't ask for.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

I get the point Broni and totally agree with your point. I don't want anything until I okay it. Lets see, M/S download sneaks in a little something is Firefox with a down load and now Adobe is trying to slip in a little something with there security update. I have a idea. Bleeping Computer should request people from both companies to explain why they try these sneaky things. Do it here on this site.

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

I do agree that I prefer direct installs, but I still don't see how its a big deal. They're not downloading anything in the background, it asks you to install Adobe DLM, once you do, it downloads flash and installs it.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

I don't want to install any Adobe DLM, because it's not necessary to install Flash, but that particular page won't allow you to install Flash without allowing Adobe DLM installation.
Once more, I don't need any extra garbage on my computer.

My Website

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

I don't want to install any Adobe DLM, because it's not necessary to install Flash, but that particular page won't allow you to install Flash without allowing Adobe DLM installation.
Once more, I don't need any extra garbage on my computer.

Can I get an Amen Brother.

It seems like EVERYONE is doing this to us and then folks wonder why they get malware. They are so used to getting crapware installed with legitimate programs that they have just been conditioned to say "yes" to anything.

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

And I don't want any freaking toolbars nor do I want the McAfee scanner. I wish they would stop all of that, most of the people I know don't even know how that stuff gets installed, which basically means they don't pay attention when they are installing stuff. Most toolbars end up causing issues anyway and need to be uninstalled.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

It's been almost like a disease for a while. See here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/...-hall-of-shame/

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users