Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DC jack question (about electrical)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luv2roq

luv2roq

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

This is probably more about electrical than general computer stuff, but I was wondering about the DC jack. There is a cylindrical plastic cover piece that covers the center contacts inside the DC jack that got broken off. The AC adapter still works fine, and there don't seem to be any issues with charging/power, however I was wondering if it was not a good idea to continue to use it like that. I mean, is there any kind of safety issue or anything with using the power cord and the DC jack without that center plastic peice?? I attached pictures to better illustrate what I am talking about.
I am really quite lame with anything having to do with electricity issues, so I was hoping someone here could tell me.
Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

There won't be any safety issue as far as danger of an electric shock or anything like that - the voltage on that socket is low and the plug is still in the same position when it's plugged in. It's hard to be quite certain from the images, but I don't think the design of the pins will allow the power supply to be shorted as it's being plugged in, but to be sure, I'd suggest don't plug or unplug the lead to that socket while the mains power is on.

The plastic centre piece mainly served to ensure the correct plug is used and guided it into place giving extra support to hold it straight. Without that there, it might be easier to bend the centre pins or for someone to try to use a wrong power supply, possibly causing some damage. If you know to be careful with it, I don't believe it should cause you a problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 luv2roq

luv2roq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thank you very much for your reply! :thumbsup:

#4 Platypus

Platypus