Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thank You Bleepingcomputer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diamost

diamost

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'm a fairly experienced XP user, but I'm weird. Aside from an obsolete AVG anti virus thing (which I don't know how to get rid of ...yet) I don't run a virus program, don't enable the firewall (I have a router with a "hardware" firewall), I don't allow updates....and aside from the occasonal vundo hit, I seldom have malware issues. I do run Winpatrol, which offers good warnings on bad happenings. Worst of all, I suppose, my default browser is IE6.

Well, a few weeks ago I started to get opportunities to register something called lib.dll, had some nonsense in HKCR that was trying to spread it around the registry, and IE was bahaving strangely. It took more than a minute to open my home page the "first time", and at times a second instance, an invisible one, of iexplore was running in the machine.

I was running malwarebytes scans, finding lib.dll and the trojan HKCR thing, dumping them.....and on the next boot it would all happen again.

Lots of internet searching on lib.dll and several related GUIDs that process monitor said were being worked on a lot....and one gets to see a lot of logs posted and few explanations of what is actually happening; "who" is creating lib.dll (or some of the other related malware that people get. Lots of hijack this logs, and combofix logs, and genuine clear responses from the bleeping people.

I finally, after reading a lot on the bleeping site decided I am smart enough to run combofix without a helper leading me through the steps, so I did it.

Turns out that I was lucky enough to be able to run it, your posted guide is very good, it did what it said, and aside from killing all my desktop internet shortcuts, it's pretty obvious that it fixed the problem, and the dead ie shortcuts problem was solved by going to add and remove programs and checking internet explorer, whereupon all the shortcuts magically appeared.

Since it's an SP3 machine, it runs better than it did when it was new.

So -- I'm writing to thank you, and to tell anybody who reads this that you guys are absolutely the real deal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users