Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network, Laptops & Lag

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hello everyone!

My husband and I play World of Warcraft (insert nerd joke here) and we have a question.

I play on an XPS420 Desktop (8GB HDD) & there's absolutely NO lag issues whatsoever. We have the fastest of the fastest speed that AT&T offers in Chicago. I have a Netgear Router (Wireless N). My desktop is wired to it and the hubs connects wirelessly on a laptop (Gateway NV52 4GB HDD). Sometimes he experiences nasty lag.

Is there any way to speed him up or is he doomed because he's on a laptop? My desktop used to be a 2GB HDD but I upgraded it - but I never really had lag in the first place. Would connecting him (wired) directly to the router be of any help?

And yes my router is up and away from interference (my husband usually sits only about 2 feet from the router).

Thanks!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Check the "power settings", and make sure its selected on high performance. Also, just because you're "close" to the router, interference could still be happening. I'd also check and adjust channels(avoid 1 and 6, as they are normally the most congested) to see if performance improves..

#3 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

thanks for the tips!

But another dumb question.....I went and bought an ethernet cable and I want to wire the laptop to the router directly. One end into the laptop, the other into the router - and I expected -*PRESTO*-

What I actually got made me more confused. It's still on the wireless connection and the #2 light on the router is lighting up. My desktop is #1 (solid green light) and the laptop is #2 (Orange light that flashes once in a while). I disconnected from the wireless network, expecting to be still connected because of the cable but no dice.

I have a Netgear Wireless N WNR2000 and AT&T DSL (the fastest they have) if that helps....

Thank you!!!

Posted Image

wow. i need some cable ties....when i look at the picture it looks like a huge mess :thumbsup:

#4 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

Now you can see the lights

#5 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

::crickets::

#6 kwiatkiem

kwiatkiem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

So, does anyone know how to connect a laptop to the internet with an ethernet cable?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

You should just connect ethernet cable to lan port on laptop and the other end to one of the four lan ports on router RJ45 connectors on end of each cable ensure local area connection is set to obtain an ip address atuomatically and obtain an dns server address to automatic.

Check firewall isn't blocking connection.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users