Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary hard disc drive faliure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nate B

Nate B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

I am having a problem where my computer will randomly attempt to reboot itself, fail and go to a black screen with the following error:

SATA primary hard disc drive 0 failure
Strike F1 key to continue
F2 to run setup utility

When the F! key is hit I get the following response:

No boot device available

I have windows XP on a Del computer and have made no new software or other updates

Please help

Thanks,
Nate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

What kind of drive do you have?

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Here is what I suggest. Open my computer, open C drive and click on properties. Go to tools, and go thru error checking and tick on the two boxes to fix sectors and whatnot.
Then if your hard drive is a Western Digital or Seagate, go to their website and look for a diagnostic tool you can run on your drive.
Your drive may be failing, some fail in a short time, some fail after years.
Let us know how this turns out.

Oh, the Hard drive websites have a free disk cloning program, try to take advantage of that to copy your whole hard drive over to a new drive including programs and files/folders.
However if you have the Dell restore CD, it may be a time to do a clean install. Google for how to do it if youre unfamiliar.

#4 Nate B

Nate B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

To Cryptodan: Not sure how to check for the kind of drive. Can you instruct?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

You can go into the BIOS and check under the HDD Options. For Dells you can enter the BIOS by hitting F2. Also do you have the service tag for this computer?

#6 Nate B

Nate B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thanks rosiesdad. I'll try it

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

@rosiesdad
It's his primary HD that fails. So how would he be able to do what you've suggested?

@Nate B
1. If you can get hold of a Linux based LiveCD like Knoppix, you could boot off the CD and check the status of your hard disk.

2. By type of drive, he wants to know if it's a SATA or IDE drive? The type of cables used, should give you an idea.

EDIT:

3. As per cryptodan's suggestion, you could check to see if your HD is listed in the BIOS.
If it is, then your computer is able to detect the hard disk but unable to read the data.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 June 2010 - 05:37 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users