Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Redirections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan_klost

Bryan_klost

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

I just wasted 70 bucks today buying stopzilla and webroot to get rid of some stuff on my computer that I have no idea how it got there. Stopzilla said that it removed 20 items and webroot said it removed 9. Some trojans, spyware cookies and one adaware. The problem I am having since yesterday is a slower computer and mainly that my searches through google and bing are being redirected to weird sites. There is a weird scripted 2 or a snake looking thing in front of the address bar after I click on the site through the google search for a few seconds, it will actually bounce through like 2 or 3 sites before it settles on one to land me in. Sometimes the mcafee will scream saying its a red site. How in the heck can I get this out of my computer. I am also running mcafee 2010 total protection, that blew up my system last month with their messed up update. I cant catch a break lately. Can anyone help me????

Bryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Download the following:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

SUPERAntiSpyware:
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Instructions:

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Now GMER

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

• GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning

Make sure you run full scans of MBAM and SAS, and make sure they are updated. It seems to me like you are getting false positives, but to be sure Id like to see the scans.

#3 Bryan_klost

Bryan_klost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

Here is the log from Malawarebytes....

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4190

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

6/11/2010 5:27:22 PM
mbam-log-2010-06-11 (17-27-22).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 137118
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Local Settings\Temp\6dd06d0a-6981-4ceb-a1d7-00775d947aae\wrk6.tmp_35 (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\38453077-0512-4429-bae3-aa20ceb9b687_35 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Local Settings\Temp\6dd06d0a-6981-4ceb-a1d7-00775d947aae\wrk6.tmp_35 (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Application Data\38453077-0512-4429-bae3-aa20ceb9b687_35.avi (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Local Settings\Temp\ins23B.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Local Settings\Temp\0.3220001977845559.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\Local Settings\Temp\a.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

What is scary.......... after the computer restarted, my stopzilla picked up 30 issues, many being critical issues, I click on remove........... it seems my system is crawling with issues!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

Can you do the full scans reboot then rescan again.

#5 Bryan_klost

Bryan_klost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

Any idea of why the stopzilla came up with so many critical issues, you dont think that the Malwarebytes could be fighting with Webroot and Stopzilla, do you? Also, I havent ran the other two that you suggested yet. Was there anything in that log that looked bad?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Post the stuff from the Stopzilla Log as well. There were issues in the MBAM Log you posted, but post the others as well. After this we will see if GMER needs to be ran.

#7 Bryan_klost

Bryan_klost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Arghh..... my system is dying.............. I keep getting issues popping up, seems like when I reboot, it gets worse. The webroot spyware programs keeps saying its blocking website, Mcafee popped up and said it removed a trojan and stopzilla keeps picking up stuff. I removed the Malaware program you had me download, seems to have got much worse since then. Is there something else I can do, I am thinking maybe I need to go burn my computer outback before it infects my house, kidding of course. I am at a loss to what to do.

#8 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hello Bryan_klost,
  • Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
  • cryptodan has ask me to help with your problems.
  • My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • First, we need to get some information.
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean".
  • Finally, please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.

Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.

Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop post the contents of the DDS.txt log. Save the other report incase I need to look at it later.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

• GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

Things to include in your next reply:
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
Gmer log
What is going on with your machine?

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding smile.gif

With Regards,
fireman4it

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 Bryan_klost

Bryan_klost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi Fireman,

I got your message. Mcafee is suppose to call me back and try to work the problem out for me. I got hit with that dat file update issue last month and I think it left me vulnerable, so I am hoping their intent is to get this resolved without charging me the 89 fee, which in my opinion is a scam because I have 2010 total protection and obviously I wasn't protected. If they can not get me fixed, I will want to try your method. Can I ask you a question and I mean no disrespect or malice by the question. But I am new to this whole bulletin board help method..... how can a person be sure they are not getting advice from a hacker themselves and setting themselves to make matters much worse using this method? Again, no disrespect, just curious to that question.

Bryan

#11 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

how can a person be sure they are not getting advice from a hacker themselves and setting themselves to make matters much worse using this method? Again, no disrespect, just curious to that question.

Well to be honest you can't. Just like anything else you have to do research. Research the board your wanting to use. Here at BC we closely monitor what other staff members are doing. Sometimes we here At BC even have to use Google or Bing to find our answers or a least lead us in the right direction. What i suggested in my post was a tool just to get information so we know what we are up against before we start the fix of your machine. You will probably be asked by Mcafee for some if not all the same scans. Since you are going to get help from Mcafee I'm going to close this thread. If you need further assistance please start a new Topic.

This thread will now be closed since the issue seems to be resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team member or myself. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users